transffering objects among drawings

samifox

hi

copy/paste syndrome

since i start using acad, 1 out of 5 drawings happens to have problems copy and paste objects. most of the time only when i split the window into two, and drag the content between one drawing to another its seems to bypass the mechanism.

can someone please en-light this painful issue?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• samifox

• RobDraw

• Tiger

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically press and drag is the same action than copy and paste.

However could you be more specific? Maybe with some examples.

Copy-Paste is a conundrum wrapped in an enigma suffused in a tangled web. Or it's just a pain.

It is a common problem, and it can be real hard to find what is the root of the problem. It could be a full Clipboard. It could be Proxy-objects in the drawing. It could be something solved with Purge/Audit. It could be a rogue x-ref. It could be the wrong phase of the moon.

Copy-Paste is a conundrum wrapped in an enigma suffused in a tangled web. Or it's just a pain.

It is a common problem, and it can be real hard to find what is the root of the problem. It could be a full Clipboard. It could be Proxy-objects in the drawing. It could be something solved with Purge/Audit. It could be a rogue x-ref. It could be the wrong phase of the moon.

i share you frustration...autocad 2016 is kind of drafting operation system now ....Autodesk cant offord ignoring this problem...

i share you frustration...autocad 2016 is kind of drafting operation system now ....Autodesk cant offord ignoring this problem...

They've ignored it for as long as I have been here, I think they'll ignore it a bit longer :)

They've ignored it for as long as I have been here, I think they'll ignore it a bit longer :)

ill reseasrch the issue..hope to post some good news

Your profile says you are using AutoCAD 2010 yet you mention 2016. Which program are you actually using?

Is the copy/paste problem associated with a particular drawing or is it random?

What version of AutoCAD was/were the drawing(s) originally created with?

As already stated, there are several reasons why copy/paste won't work sometimes. What has to be remembered is that it is not a native AutoCAD command and, if it fails, one should find an AutoCAD solution. Making a block of the desired objects and using insert will most likely allow you to get the objects into the file. If that is not acceptable, then some investigation and/or experimentation is probably in order. Most likely, there is something in the selection that is not translating well. Be it something that was created in a vertical that you are not using. It could also be a newer version that it was created in.

Your profile says you are using AutoCAD 2010 yet you mention 2016. Which program are you actually using?

im still using acad 2010 as stated. what i meant is that Autocad is 34 years of age, the clipboard problem should be solved long time ago. or if copy/paste is not supported...at least give easy alternative.

im using acad 2010 so all i can complain is acad 2010....but the drawing are saved at acad 2000 for legacy support in my office.

As already stated, there are several reasons why copy/paste won't work sometimes. What has to be remembered is that it is not a native AutoCAD command and, if it fails, one should find an AutoCAD solution. Making a block of the desired objects and using insert will most likely allow you to get the objects into the file. If that is not acceptable, then some investigation and/or experimentation is probably in order. Most likely, there is something in the selection that is not translating well. Be it something that was created in a vertical that you are not using. It could also be a newer version that it was created in.

yaa...usualy i have to xplode AEC objects and it solve the problem...but talking about productivity ...this issue is abendoned by Autodesk...my opinion

THanks

ill give it a try

Edited by samifox

It is not an issue with properly handled files. Unfortunately, not everyone realizes this and blames the software. Unless everything in your drawings is created in house, there are bound to be these types of problems. The software is not the problem. If people try to do stuff that the software was not intended to do, problems are inevitable. How is AutoDesk supposed to fix that? The real issue at hand is that you are using objects created by software other than what you are using. The software you are using wasn't designed to handle the objects that are causing your problems.

If you still want to drill into this some more, go after the source of those objects and ask the author(s) to give them to you in a format that is compatible with your AutoCAD. You may even have to explain that a "save as" to an earlier version does not fully convert these objects. The files need to be exported or can be converted with Drawing TrueView. That is what AutoDesk has done for us that have to deal with files that are not fully compatible with the different flavors of AutoCAD. If that is not feasible, develop a file handling procedure that prevents these types of things.

It is not an issue with properly handled files. Unfortunately, not everyone realizes this and blames the software. Unless everything in your drawings is created in house, there are bound to be these types of problems. The software is not the problem. If people try to do stuff that the software was not intended to do, problems are inevitable. How is AutoDesk supposed to fix that? The real issue at hand is that you are using objects created by software other than what you are using. The software you are using wasn't designed to handle the objects that are causing your problems.

If you still want to drill into this some more, go after the source of those objects and ask the author(s) to give them to you in a format that is compatible with your AutoCAD. You may even have to explain that a "save as" to an earlier version does not fully convert these objects. The files need to be exported or can be converted with Drawing TrueView. That is what AutoDesk has done for us that have to deal with files that are not fully compatible with the different flavors of AutoCAD. If that is not feasible, develop a file handling procedure that prevents these types of things.

an office with no CAD manager is unlikly to solve that issue.you dont always have the source to ask for those files again, not mention the time it take.

Okay, we went from blaming AutoDesk to a non-existent CAD manager. I think it's progress.

If no one is going to do it right for you, who's left?

Why is there never time to do it right and always time to complain about the problems that come up because it wasn't done right?

"Why is there never time to do it right and always time to complain about the problems that come up because it wasn't done right?"

This could become a classic in it's own time.

To my knowledge there were no copy/paste problems reported for AutoCAD 2010 (at least according to the Readme files) nor were there any hotfixes issued.

"Why is there never time to do it right and always time to complain about the problems that come up because it wasn't done right?"

This could become a classic in it's own time.

without complaining Autocad would never become powerfull as is now

here is a real-time example, i strugle with the last 3 houra tring changhing format, audit, recover...nothing works. just cant copy paste into the attched drawing

also....why the world ucs is not orthgaraphic?

thanks

S

605_1_33_0041.dwg

There are several UCSs named in the drawing, after you switch between them, use the PLAN command to re-order your view so that North is up.

I don't have 2010 to test with, but with 2015, I can copy-paste (both copy and copy with basepoint) into your drawing without a problem - and out of the drawing as well.

here is a real-time example, i strugle with the last 3 houra tring changhing format, audit, recover...nothing works. just cant copy paste into the attched drawing

also....why the world ucs is not orthgaraphic?

thanks

S

Have you tried converting the file with Drawing TrueView?

Edited by RobDraw