CAN SOMEONE HELP ME CREATE THIS 3D image using viewports in AutoCAD?? PLEASE?

frankenstein19

I now see you are dimensioning in paperspace.

Use ALIGNED DIMENSION for those which are non-orthogonal (meaning at an angle).

The following link will take you to rkent's wonderful isometric dimensioning dwg.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30164&d=1316787356 :beer:

It is a real piece of art, very informative, you would do well to download it, save it, and check it out.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankenstein19

• Dadgad

• ReMark

• ttray33y

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok the thing you sent me, i opened it, and it said to use dimstyle, and then dimalign, i did all that. it still remains with the same dimensions. the dimensions on the top and front view are ok. did i have to use different dimensions on the top and front view to make the isometric have those dimensions??

its telling me to use dimstyle and i did but nothing happened. and i was using angular

If what you are dimensioning is not at an angle, then typically you'd use linear dimstyle.

Unless of course you were doing a DIAMETRIC DIMENSION, say for that hole, when viewed straight on.

tumblr_nol050aTI31qkrmxlo1_1280.png

i am using angular and thats what its telling me. also is there a way to remove the lines that separate each view port without removing it?

ok the thing you sent me, i opened it, and it said to use dimstyle, and then dimalign, i did all that. it still remains with the same dimensions. the dimensions on the top and front view are ok. did i have to use different dimensions on the top and front view to make the isometric have those dimensions??

Sorry, but I am going to take a pass on teaching you the isometric dimensioning, as I have never used them, and I will just wind up reading the thread I linked you to, and perhaps more importantly looking at the .dwg which rkent posted, as it is outstanding. As I recall there are probably dimensions, one of which you could copy into your drawing. In that way you would have that dimstyle onboard and available in your drawing.

You definitely want to change the layouts from how they are oriented in your last screenshot, as they are too random.

How many views are you meant to show, and or, how did you do them in your previous exercise in the course?

Typically at least one axis of the item being represented will be on either the X or Y axis, as the eye seeks order, and having things rotated

for no apparent reason is somewhat disconcerting to the recipient or viewer.

In modelspace you can ROTATE the 3D Solid in plan view,

or just set your UCS to WORLD first, and see how things look then.

That may be all you need to do.

Then you can click into each viewport, and in the upper left corner in the VIEWPORT controls choose whatever perspective you want to use in each viewport,

or look at post #72 for another approach..

Edited by Dadgad

How many views are you meant to show, and or, how did you do them in your previous exercise in the course?

Typically at least one axis of the item being represented will be on either the X or Y axis, as the eye seeks order, and having things rotated

for no apparent reason is somewhat disconcerting to the recipient or viewer.

In modelspace you can ROTATE the 3D Solid in plan view,

or just set your UCS to WORLD first, and see how things look then.

That may be all you need to do.

Then you can click into each viewport, and in the upper left corner in the VIEWPORT controls choose whatever perspective you want to use in each viewport.

im meant to show three i believe. my previous exercise had more than one solids, it had three, and each of those had their front, top and isometric views, so i had 9 viewports in the layout.

Try using your VIEWPORTS configuration dialog, as shown in the screenshot, with VPORTS command.

The views at the right were generated in a matter of seconds (I would never use all of them as they are redundant) using the VIEWBASE command, of which I have spoken.

But they do not use viewports, so as you are meant to use viewports, you should do it the old school way.

One day you might want to ask your instructor about VIEWBASE, as he may or may not even know about it.

Or once you feel good about what you are working on, save a COPY of it, and using the copy, take the VIEWBASE command around the block. you'll be glad you did, even if it is not immediately intuitive. I also included a link a few posts back explaing it.

viewports dialog.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

tumblr_nol050aTI31qkrmxlo1_1280.png

i am using angular and thats what its telling me. also is there a way to remove the lines that separate each view port without removing it?

Your dimensions do not line up correctly with your geometry (that probably explains why they are incorrect). You have to relocate the origin of your UCS and also make sure it is oriented in the right direction. This can be done manually via the UCS command or by using the Dynamic UCS feature.

NotchedTriangle1.jpg

This is closer to what is depicted in the image of the object you were given to draw re: dimensioning. I just included a few of the dimensions for demonstration purposes.

I used the Aligned dimension option for two of the dimensions (3.00 and 6.00). I also created a second dimension style so I could get a couple of the dimensions to display differently (2.00 and 4.00).

Thanks ReMark, that's the ticket!

I had thread fatigue, couldn't bear the thought of another ancillary can of worms, extended dissertation,

having not even had my morning shower nor lunch at that point. :beer: