CAN SOMEONE HELP ME CREATE THIS 3D image using viewports in AutoCAD?? PLEASE?

frankenstein19

am i doing this right so far??

tumblr_inline_nokte3D8NH1qikxeb_540.png

No you are not there yet, BUT you are much closer than you have ever been before.

The keyway is meant to be cut at a right angle from the hypotenuse, not the back face.

Keyway orientation.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankenstein19

• Dadgad

• ReMark

• ttray33y

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

those are all polylines/ im not showing you a solid object but its supposed to be a solid object at the end right? when i use the hide command right? i just have no idea what you mean by 3D modeling it.

The HIDE command won't do anything to polylines. It works on 3D Solids though.

I want to draw the triangle which you have already done, I hope as a closed polyline,

and then locate the keyway PROPERLY, as shown in my last screenshot.

STOP trying to draw all 3 views of it. Work with me on the TOP View.

Please revert to a single viewport in your Modelspace, and set it to TOP view.

those are all polylines/ im not showing you a solid object but its supposed to be a solid object at the end right? when i use the hide command right? i just have no idea what you mean by 3D modeling it.

Please watch this link

http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/extrude-and-press-pull/

then we can get back to it, and you will much better understand what I am trying to help you to do. :)

tumblr_noku7uTPE81qkrmxlo1_1280.png

OK i think i fixed the keyway and made it perpendicular to the hypotenuse. it has a width of 1.00 and a depth of .50 and i extruded it from the top view

oh geez seeing yours makes me want to cry. i watched the video. when i tried using push and pull it would just do the same as extrude. do i move on to the circle now? and then do i trim whats overlapping?

oh geez seeing yours makes me want to cry. i watched the video. when i tried using push and pull it would just do the same as extrude. do i move on to the circle now? and then do i trim whats overlapping?

practise + geometry + trigo = good drafter. IMHO

tumblr_noku7uTPE81qkrmxlo1_1280.png

OK i think i fixed the keyway and made it perpendicular to the hypotenuse. it has a width of 1.00 and a depth of .50 and i extruded it from the top view

Please do the following.

Start the POYLINE command, and with your endpoint OSNAPS turned on, Trace over the TOP view in the upper left viewport.

Don't draw the full hypotenuse, but follow the snaps which define the notch for the keyway.

You will wind up with a triangle with the notch shaped bite taken out of it.

You will then be able to use the EXTRUDE command to give it the depth of 4 units.

Don't give up, we are almost there. You CAN do this. :|

solid wedge.jpg

isnt that what i did?? ): i used polylines traced along the hypotenuse, i made the polyline 3.00 adn then i went up perpendicularly .50 then made a parallel line to the hypotenuse of 1.00 and then went down, then i extruded.

You want to use a CLOSED polyline as shown in this screenshot.

When it is extruded it will generate a 3D Solid model, you don't want surfaces generated, which is what those crosslines represent in your keyway slot.

piece of cheese getting close.jpg

Look at the screenshot, to see the progression from extruding the closed polyline all the way through creating the hole, which can be extruded to form a cylindrical SOLID, think drill bit,

which can then be SUBTRACTED from the wedge shaped SOLID.

If you want you can do this in isometric, as I did, so you can see what is happening more easily.

Draw a line across the diagonal extreme corners of the keyway.

use the UCS command with the FACE object to reorient your UCS to the plane upon which you want to draw your circle for extrusion.

Turn on your MIDPOINT osnap, and draw the circle (RADIUS of 1), centered on that midpoint.

EXTRUDE the circle all the way through the wedge, and then some, as shown in screenshot, then use SUBTRACT to create the hole.

swiss cheese.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

i dont think i did the circles extrude correctly

You centered your circles on the edge of the keyway, instead of the midpoint of it, and not sure if you extruded them, or just drew some lines, but obviously they don't go all the way through the wedge. :|

You have restored my faith in mankind, thank you. :)

Now follow my instructions in the previous post, you are almost out of the forest.

Just for laughs, you might want to change your visualstyle to something more visual, like SHADED?

Then switch it back to 2D Wireframe before proceeding.

when i extrude the circle really really far out of the object, how do i slim it down like you did in the last image?

You leave it sticking out for the moment.

It is a new 3D Solid Object, of which you should now have 2. One is the wedge shape, and the other is the HOLE which you will SUBTRACT from the wedge.

Follow the instructions at the commandline carefully.

You are almost through with your model.