Autocad Architecture compatability

jimmyjames

If I do a drawing in AutoCAD Architecture 2014 will it open and have editing capabilities in AutoCAD 2012?

I don't have A.A. 2014 yet but I have AutoCAD Map 2012 at work and I need to do the work at and work. So before I buy AA 2014 I want to make sure the drawings can be edited on AutoCAD Map 2012. Thanks to anyone who can answer.

No, they will not open unless you save back to pre 2013 (2010 format) in AutoCad AA 2014. The entire file format changed in 2013.

Do not just do a save as to an earlier version, export it. Alternatively, converting it with Drawing TrueView works well, too. A save as does change the file format so that it can be opened in older versions but does not convert objects that utilize newer features or verticals.

Thanks and when I export the drawing to an older version do I export it as a dwg file or a raster image file or someother? And one more thing - after editing the drawing in the older version which is not an architectural autocad but autocad map 3d do I then save it as the version it is (2012) or should I export it back into AA 2014. By the way, my AA 2014 is in Windows 8.1 whereas the AutoCAD Map 2012 is in Windows 7.

I missed something this morning.

Are you using any of the functionality of Map or are you just using it like vanilla AutoCAD? If you are using the MAP features, you are going to lose that stuff by exporting.

With that having been said, you only need to export to the older file format. AutoCAD is backwards compatible.

Thanks - No I just work in this office using the autocad portion of the AutoCAD map 2012. There really isn't any attachment to the save-as when I save the drawing to autocad map 2012. My main worry is the AA 2014 losing all its architecture going to the map program then back to the architecture program. I had AA 2008 in windows xp at home and when ever I loaded it into the map program in windows 7 I lost the architectural block referencing and styles, etc. but the walls, windows, etc. would stay and even be able to move around with the same attachment and wall breaking as normal which I accepted but what is weird is when I saved it in the map program and took it back home to the AA 2008 (win XP) program everything exploded and my plan was not even usable anymore. Note this would only occur with architectural referencing blocks that depend on each other for inserting and sizing. All other autocad drafting elements worked fine as long as they were part of the general autocad drafting 2d program. I think I've answered my own question.

If you weren't using the architectural functionality, we could make it work. I don't think it is possible to retain it.

If work does not provide the AA, why do you need it? If you do need it, they should provide it. Correct?

Do not just do a save as to an earlier version, export it. Alternatively, converting it with Drawing TrueView works well, too. A save as does change the file format so that it can be opened in older versions but does not convert objects that utilize newer features or verticals.
Yeah, that is a much better idea, explicitly since you are using AA. it is ugly enough opening an AA drawing with the same year release of vanilla AutoCad. There are all sorts of little graphic things in AA that vanilla will want enablers or proxies for.