VP Freeze of all layer thawed when save

jonathanpiette

Hi guys.. This is the MOST annoying bug I had in Autocad 2012-13-14 and 15. Never found any thread about that. Hope you guys can help.

In layout, I have a viewport, The vieport model is in Conceptual visual mode, and contain about 30 layers. Some of them are VP frozen, some are VP Thawed. A very normal scenario.

When I save or the Autosave happen, all my layers gets visible! The visual proble get fix as soon as I switch ON or OFF any VP Freeze in the model. It sort of refreshing it.

When you have many layout with many viewport, it's getting sometime very very frustrating to work with that bug. Fortunatly, it's only happen when I work in 3D (Conceptual). Wich I try to avoid at all price. When I got my cad2015 and realised the bug it still not fixed, it seriously make me think of finding a defentive alternative to autocad in term of 3D modeling.

By the way, a redraw or regen all doesn't do anything!

thanks for your help.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jonathanpiette

• ReMark

• RobDraw

• steven-g

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunatly, it's only happen when I work in 3D (Conceptual). Wich I try to avoid at all price. When I got my cad2015 and realised the bug it still not fixed, it seriously make me think of finding a defentive alternative to autocad in term of 3D modeling.

That seems kind of harsh. A bug in something that you avoid gets under your skin enough to abandon the software?

You also don't say what field you work in. It's hard recommend software alternatives without that info. If you are doing buildings or building systems, then Revit is the way to go.

Unfortunatly autocad is inevatable in my life. I'm in entertainment domain. Site plan for special event, stage design, truss system. My surrounding is mostly working with Sketchup, Vectorworks, Wiziwig and Solidworks. Autocad become the center management of all those file manipulation. My relationship with AC through years has been a love & hate one. For site plan, as long as it's stays on Z:0, this software is ace.... but when you talk about 3D, my life become quickly hell, when today's deadline become more and more last week. My last sentence of finding alternative is actually a dream because nothing on the market get even close to the AC flexibilty. I just have the feeling that they sit on that notoriety.

Things change though. Autocad used to be my only software. Now I'm passing most of my time on Sketchup wich I think is changing the world. (The same ways AC did it in the 90')

I do not do any 3D in AutoCAD, so I can't give you particulars for AutoCAD. I hardly ever work in 3D views. Even in Revit, I just use them for reference and pretty pictures. 99% of my editing is done in plan or section views.

Edited by RobDraw

I've worked in 3D with all those versions of AutoCAD and I never experienced the problem you have described so I would venture to say it is not a bug in the program.

Do you make use of any lisp routines?

Do you share drawings with people in other companies?

I thought that would be the case, ReMark. I was stuck because I haven't done much 3D in AutoCAD. My first thought was it might be a graphics/memory issue.

Yeah, it gets tiresome asking about hardware and computer maintenance all the time, so I try to assume all is good.

Just knowing that you guys never experienced the issue is a big step in my troubleshooting process. As you said, problem could be on my side! I bought this desktop in 2012 in the only purpose of autocad. (I use macbookpro for every other softwares) My desktop spec: built in 2012. i7-3770 3.4GHz, 16G RAM, WinPro x64, Graphic: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670. The review of that card for CAD was really good at the time. I also have very bad performance in general in 3D with Cad but I know that this is due to the fact that AC is single core.

I don't know where to begin. My system has less RAM but a better graphics card (nVidia Quadro K4000) and yet it does not suffer from "bad performance".

What kinds of file sizes are you dealing with? Do you regularly -purge and audit your drawings?

Maybe you can share one of these troublesome drawings with us via Dropbox?

I think the vid card is the issue here. My PC at home was built to similar specs around the same time except it was and i5 and a comparable Radeon. I upgraded the vid card to a 1G fairly quickly and the performance increase was incredible. Low end 2G cards these days can be got cheaply and will yield a huge performance increase.

The file I run on my desktop are never small. Mostly in 3D. I keep my machine hoover clean, no web, nothing else than graphic software. My Video card is a 6GB, twice the power of a K4000. I have a pretty nice a quick machine. Every software I use for 3D run flawlessly appart for AutoCAD, in 3D. When I look at performance monitor, the first CPU reach the top but 7 others nice cpu are doing nothing! What's the point of this. Flattening a model can take an hour in AC. Sketchup does it in seconds!!

Anyway... let's stop complaining about that wonderful software and re-focus on my problem here. I will do my homeworks: I have a i5 company laptop in the corner of my office. I think there's a cad 2012 liscence installed on it. I also have parallel desktop with a win7 installed on my macbook pro. I will run my file on those to see if I can re-create the problem and keep you inform about that.

Thanks all for your support.

I read the spec for your vid card wrong. I thought it was a 256M, which is what i had before upgrading to 1G. My bad.

Upload a copy of one of your drawings to Dropbox. Post a link here to the drawing. I'll test it on my system and see if I get the same results as you. That's the best I can offer.

ok, I got something! This morning, I pass time on that problem and I found the bug. First, it's not my computer because the bug happen on every Cad version I have and 3 differents computers!!! So here what it is: a bloc callout that I use for cross section. When I delete this bloc (not even purge, just delete) the problem is gone!!!! WTF!

I simplify the file so you can guys reproduce the problem: The file is called test5.dwg In Layout, I have a viewport with only one layer on. (Girders) When I click save, every layer are visible, until I clic on any VP freeze to refresh it. That's the problem. Now, delete the Section Callout - Imperial dynamic bloc in the drawing. Problem is gone.

I'm pretty happy I found my problem but what could have cause this??? I also had this problem before in other drawings without this callout bloc in it. So it mean another element was creating the problem!

here's the link for the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/02gq0j3wi3etw5i/test5.dwg?dl=0

here's the link for 2 snapshots showing the bug on and off:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/37nhrjw37n3yils/Screen%20Shot%202015-05-22%20at%208.05.40%20AM.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt71qbm0ioxo3jw/Screen%20Shot%202015-05-22%20at%208.07.09%20AM.png?dl=0

Cheers

Don't you just hate those self-induced problems? Wish we had someone we could blame. Why that would be.......................................us! LoL

Glad to hear that after all this time (3 years?) you finally figured it out.

You may have to issue an apology to AutoDesk for bad-mouthing AutoCAD too.

Well, I KNOW who to blame... this dynamic bloc is provided by autocad itself!!! Design Center C:/Program Files/Autodesk/AutoCAD 20xx/Sample/en-us/Dynamic Blocks/Annotation - Imperial.dwg/Section Callout-Imperial

I'd say that is very odd indeed.

Why is your viewport on layer Defpoints (bad idea) and not on a layer of its own with the layer set to "no print"?

Well I can reproduce the problem, it certainly looks very suspicious, keep playing with it see if you can pinpoint if it is anything special in that particular block,