Do I need to close Autocad or just the drwg window for someone else to use my license

mechaniker

As you know, you need a license to open AutoCAD. That license does not become available to anyone else until you close the program.

As you know, you need a license to open AutoCAD. That license does not become available to anyone else until you close the program.

Re-opening again takes a long time.

Is it so hard to make the license available when you just close the drawing file?

I would pay a reasonable amount for that.

Thanks a lot

Is it so hard to make the license available when you just close the drawing file?

I would pay a reasonable amount for that.

No, no, no, we don't need AutoDesk squeezing any more money out of us.

I don't know of any software that does what you want. You would be better off taking that money and putting it towards upgrading your computer. How long does it take to open?

No, no, no, we don't need AutoDesk squeezing any more money out of us.

I don't know of any software that does what you want. You would be better off taking that money and putting it towards upgrading your computer. How long does it take to open?

Maybe around a minute. I don't have it with me right now to check.

That is some precious time. If tens of dollars more would fix it, I would be happy to pay it.

If I need 10 minutes a day for re-opening, that is 42 hours a year. At 10 dollars / hr, it equals 420 dollars.

Thanks a lot

Here's a novel idea. Get another license.

That is 5200 dollars. They wouldn't do that mate.

Thanks a lot

Well the way your company is operating now I'd say your losing a lot more than that in productivity per year.

Maybe around a minute. I don't have it with me right now to check.

That is some precious time. If tens of dollars more would fix it, I would be happy to pay it.

If I need 10 minutes a day for re-opening, that is 42 hours a year. At 10 dollars / hr, it equals 420 dollars.

Thanks a lot

If your time is that precious, you are wasting it here. You should be looking for someone who specializes in time management to give you some advice. BTW, $10/hr is pretty cheap.

Well the way your company is operating now I'd say your losing a lot more than that in productivity per year.

So true. They are.

If your time is that precious, you are wasting it here. You should be looking for someone who specializes in time management to give you some advice. BTW, $10/hr is pretty cheap.

Maybe you are right

You could always buy a copy of AutoCAD LT (standalone license) or one of the AutoCAD clones like Bricscad.

Yes, that is ok for 2D.

Thanks

If there was an app that lets us know how many licenses are available at any moment, and if anyone wants to use Autocad, so others will try to finish/close their work, that would be great.

I found this at http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/297341-users-to-see-available-licenses-in-autocad Gerald Cox Jan 31, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I run a license server here. It's a FlexLM License Server for license management. If you're using network licenses, that's how they would be utilized. I can log in to and see what's in use. A few years ago, we needed to track usage to see if we were utilizing all of our licenses. We used OpenLM for that. It tracked the license server so I could see historical data. It allowed drop a few licenses and save a few thousand a year.

You say you make $10/hr, so that's basically 16.7 cents per minute. If you open Autocad 10 times each day, that's only $1.67 per day. I'm sure they lose more than that every time you take a bathroom break, visit the water cooler, send a txt message, take a personal call, post a message here in the forum, etc. The time it takes to open Autocad is nothing compared to these other distractions.

If licensing issues are such a problem, purchase another license because it really doesn't matter if you can monitor how many licenses are in use or not. You still have only "X" number of licenses available. So if all licenses are in use, somebody is sitting and not able to work. How much is that costing the company per year?

You say you make $10/hr, so that's basically 16.7 cents per minute. If you open Autocad 10 times each day, that's only $1.67 per day. I'm sure they lose more than that every time you take a bathroom break, visit the water cooler, send a txt message, take a personal call, post a message here in the forum, etc. The time it takes to open Autocad is nothing compared to these other distractions.

If licensing issues are such a problem, purchase another license because it really doesn't matter if you can monitor how many licenses are in use or not. You still have only "X" number of licenses available. So if all licenses are in use, somebody is sitting and not able to work. How much is that costing the company per year?

They won't purchase another license for 5200$ just for me.

Thanks a lot

Like Mechaniker look into using the LMtools you can see who is currently using send a email ask to log out, we have only 1 copy of Autoturn I manage the LMTOOL so we have a email group autoturn so when you get the message not available it goes to whole group generally works ok with a few minutes or license now available from fred. If I establish they have left the building like Elvis I log them out.

Like Mechaniker look into using the LMtools you can see who is currently using send a email ask to log out, we have only 1 copy of Autoturn I manage the LMTOOL so we have a email group autoturn so when you get the message not available it goes to whole group generally works ok with a few minutes or license now available from fred. If I establish they have left the building like Elvis I log them out.

OK. These are good ideas.

Thanks a lot