Xref scale

MDD73

Hello I am a novice and learning (spent days trying to understand how to do this). I am trying to use the Xref and have no problem attaching the file. My problem is that the scale doesn't seem to work no matter what I do. The file I am referencing is in imperial and it changes to metric which is what the acadiso file is and metric is what I want to use. From here the size of the file is so small in paper space when I change the scale to 1:200. In model space the dimensions are not what they should be, to small. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello Sorry, first I opened the file acadiso which is metric and followed what someone had written to convert an imperial file to metric. I then tried using a new acadiso file to attach with Xref the converted file I have both the units on the files set to decimal & millimeters but I realise having read your post that there may be something else that I haven't done as the file I converted although it is metric there is something wrong with the scale because when I draw a line the measurement is way out. Bit sad because I am back to square one having spent a long time trying to understand how to get the file from imperial to metric.

If both your drawings have the units set to Millimeters then that is a good starting point, but it has nothing to do with the size of the objects drawn in the xref, when you changed the units it doesn't actually alter the drawn objects, if a line was 100 units long before, then it will still be 100 units long. You need to scale up all the xref objects by 25.4, select the xref and use the scale command, you should look for something in the drawing that you know the size of, just to check that everything is fine (preferably the longest distance that is known).

Hi steven-g Thank you for replying, appreciated. Having read your reply what I just did was started again as I was unsure what you meant.

What I did,

open new file (metric)

Xref file AA file (the converted imperial file)

Change scale X,Y,Z to 25.4

Click OK

The measurements in model space have changed dramatically but still smaller ie: 29400mm shows 19000.

Can you post the original xref file (imperial), it sounds like it wasn't originally drawn in full units.

If that measurement you gave of 29400 is accurate, then change the scale you set earlier from 25.4 up to 39,3, without seeing the drawing it's a bit of guess work, but you need to alter the scale until the sizes are correct. Another way would be to find the longest known distance and use the scale command, and use the reference option. For example start the scale command, and follow the prompts, pick your base point (one end of the length 19000) then type "r" for the reference option (or click the arrow at the side of the prompt and choose reference), it will ask you for the first point - pick that same basepoint again, for the second point pick the other end of the object that is 19000, and then type "29400" and press enter. But make sure you check a few more measurements, just to make sure everything is ok.

steven-g that is it absolutely brilliant, really grateful. The figure you gave me 39.3 is almost spot on so tomorrow last day before back to work I can tweak it with how you told me. Thank You so much. If you don't mind me asking can you tell me is there something not quite right with the original file? The reason I am asking is I am learning and it might help me later on.

It looks a bit suspicious, but without seeing the file it would be very difficult to say why, there are some people who still make there drawings by actually drawing them with a scale factor. The file could have been altered by someone at some stage. Using the scale command with the reference option is probably the easiest way of dealing with it, but there are other methods, you can setup your drawing so that imperial drawings resize when imported into metric files, but that does rely on all files being setup correctly.

If you don't mind me asking can you tell me is there something not quite right with the original file? The reason I am asking is I am learning and it might help me later on.

If you provide us with a file to review, we can tell you what is, or is not, wrong with it. Anything else is just a guess.