HELP: AutoCAD beginner that needs help drawing an isometric truss

polojet

Hi,

I need to draw an isometric truss and so far have done the 2d plain (I think that's what it is called). I have attempted to use the ISOVIEW.lsp but am having no luck.

I load the lsp ok but then i'm not sure what i am supposed to do. I have typed the command "isoviews" but it doesn't place it properly. Can someone describe to me the exact steps i need to follow to get this done.

Thanks!

Here's an attachment of what i have done so far, believe it or not that took me 2 hours, it is so hard :(

2D.jpg

Select one of the isometric views on the VIEW tab, and THEN draw the truss in isometric. Unless you have drawn a 3D truss already , the iso views will not present an isometric view of your truss because all of your lines are in the x,y PLANE, and nothing in the Z direction (up/down). The only help you get in an iso view is the 30/60 angles are easy to lock into.

Remember, an ISOMETRIC view is still only 2D, all of your lines will still be on the X,Y plane.

Draw the truss in 3D then switch to an isometric view or use the BaseView command to extract an isometric view.

Draw the truss in 3D then switch to an isometric view or use the BaseView command to extract an isometric view.
Exactly, only said in a different way.
Unless you have drawn a 3D truss already , the iso views will not present an isometric view of your truss

Oh, wait. Do you know what the lisp code is supposed to do? Oh, you already stated that you didn't.

Anyway. since you are using a lisp routine, I am bowing out. There are experts who can deal with it. I'll leave it to them. You probably should have referred to lisp in your title, and posted in the appropriate lisp forum. The experts in lisp here don't scan the other forums as much.

Once you start isoviews you just follow the prompts, at the dialog box pick the right or left plane, pick the objects, pick a reference point which can be almost anywhere, and a start point which can also be almost anywhere. Your original objects will be left alone.

Is the truss constructed of angle, square/rectangular or round tube? Difficult to tell from your drawing which is not a plan view but an elevation.

An example of a simple truss constructed out of both square (red color) and rectangular (gray color) tubing. Created as a 3D model and depicted in an SE Isometric view using a Conceptual visual style.

SimpleTruss1.jpg

Edited by ReMark