Partial chamfering along a solid edge.

POPRivet

Dear Sirs

How can I chamfer just a portion ( for example 1/3 of the total length ) of an edge on a solid ?

I would like to chamfer just the centre part of the edge length and then fillet the ends of the chamfering to the original solid edge.

I am using Autocad 2014.

Thank You Very Much in advance for any help you can provide.

Best regards.

You could SLICE it into 3 pieces by defining slicing planes (I like using circles) at each end of the segment you want to chamfer, then Union them back together after the fact, and before the Fillet.

You could SLICE it into 3 pieces by defining slicing planes (I like using circles) at each end of the segment you want to chamfer, then Union them back together after the fact, and before the Fillet.

Dear Mr Dadgad

Thank you very much for your fast answer !

I will try your suggested method right now and then tell you the result.

Hello Mr Dadgad

I tried the suggested procedure but unfortunately I failed to achieve my goal.

What I am trying to model is a partial chamfering on an edge that fillets to the original edge at the chamfered segment ends, something like the chamfering on the photo below :

image.jpg

The part that I am modelling is not a frame, its an aluminium front panel for an audio equipment enclosure.

Do you have any idea about how can I do this ?

Thank you very much for your time and attention.

Chamfer problem 3.jpg

My final attempt. Got to step away from my desk for a while.

I suppose if you wanted to you could even radius the edges a bit to soften the look. User's choice.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54358[/ATTACH]

Or more like this?

Yes, this second picture is almost what I need, I think that it will be a simple task to aplly fillet to the resultant edges.

Can you explain how did you do it ?

Tannks !

Using the Loft and Slice (with Surface option) commands I kind of did this...

Chamfer problem 4.jpg

Sequence starts on the left with a solid created by lofting two triangles and ends all the way over on the right with the finished product. Two lines were lofted to create the cutting surface (reddish color).

Took the finished product and placed it in my model then unioned the two together. Mirrored that then used the Union command to arrive at the result shown in the image I posted previously.

Ok !

Thank you !

I will try that on my model.

I thought it would be a simple task, only requiring the use of the chamfer and fillet tools, now I know...

I need to learn, learn, learn, learn, learn, learn...

Best regards

I only make it look difficult so I can discourage young users from stealing my job from me.:lol: Please take up accounting. Thank you.

There probably is an easier way but this is not the type of task I'm faced with on a daily basis so I didn't bother trying to find a simpler approach. If someone has a better (i.e. - easier) suggestion I'm always willing to learn too.

When built in commands and tools like fillet or chamfer are unable to be used easily, think of the manufacturing process - after all this is what you are attempting to recreate. In this case one method of manufacturing would be to use a router to accomplish the chamfer and would result in the ends of the routed length having a curved surface. So create a solid bar at a 45 degree angle and at the ends union a cylinder of the desired diameter. Now subtract from the main solid.

When built in commands and tools like fillet or chamfer are unable to be used easily, think of the manufacturing process - after all this is what you are attempting to recreate. In this case one method of manufacturing would be to use a router to accomplish the chamfer and would result in the ends of the routed length having a curved surface. So create a solid bar at a 45 degree angle and at the ends union a cylinder of the desired diameter. Now subtract from the main solid.

Hello Mr Patrick Hughes

Your idea looks very practical and it don't seems to much difficult to put into practice.

I am going to try it and if everything went flawlessly, in the future, it will be my method of choice for similar tasks.

Thank you very much for your contribution.

Best regards.