Set Units Decimal vs Architectural.

Is there a way that i can set the units on autocad that work both way decimal and architectural:

ex: i set the units type as decimal

I want to offset a line 5 inch i do: Offset then specify offset distance---- type 5--enter then it will offset.

But if i want to offset that line for 1feet, i do Offset then specify offset distance---- type 1 '--enter (Requires numeric distance, two points, or option keyword.)?? it won't offset for me. Is this possible in Autocad 2015?? thanks

attachment.php?attachmentid=54361&cid=1&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=54362&cid=1&stc=1

pencil.png

units.JPG

2ft.JPG

Sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too. :)

I don't believe you will be able to do that, as the decimal based dimension style won't understand the foot sign.

But in this instance typing 12 is the same number of keystrokes and easier, because they are right next to each other.

Edited by Dadgad

I am set on Architectural units, and the program will accept 28, 28" 2'-4", and 2.33' all for the same distance. But then again, I am not typing a space between my digits and the ' at the end. Your command line appears to have a space between the 2 and the' No spaces are allowed.

I am set on Architectural units, and the program will accept 28, 28" 2'-4", and 2.33' all for the same distance. But then again, I am not typing a space between my digits and the ' at the end. Your command line appears to have a space between the 2 and the' No spaces are allowed.

Good point Dana, thank God I rarely have to use Imperial, what a pain in the butt!

It does appear that if the UNITS are Decimal, it won't work, but as you describe does, with UNITS set to Architectural. The screenshot and commandline history were created with units set to Architectural, per your suggestion, no problem. :beer:

I stand corrected decimal arch offset issue.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

In my experience, decimal units is used to indicate feet, typing 1 without the foot mark gives you 1' with the foot mark being understood. Setting units to architectural does exactly as you described. If you type in 5 (no symbol), gives you 5 inches. Typing 1' is recognized as such.

Thinking out loud you may be able to do a transparent command at the input request (f 3.5) this is 3 feet 5" 3.6, the other way old fashioned is using screen menu's you can have a label 3" but the button gives 0.25 as a response.

Depending on what it is your doing you may want to do a lisp front end so you can enter just 3.5 = 3" 5" as an example ddd.mmss for bearings enter 123.4530 123 deg's 45 minutes 30 seconds. Much easier than 123d45'30"

Sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too. :)

I don't believe you will be able to do that, as the decimal based dimension style won't understand the foot sign.

But in this instance typing 12 is the same number of keystrokes and easier, because they are right next to each other.

That's what i thought, i would be nice if Autocad is able to do this feature. Thank you anyway

Setting units to architectural does exactly as you described. If you type in 5 (no symbol), gives you 5 inches. Typing 1' is recognized as such.

You probably missed this the first time.