Aligning multiple 3D objects

Jordan27

Hey Guys & Girls,

This is probably a simple problem but can someone please help me with aligning the 3 objects in the attached 3d_align_test.dxf

I want the points to be touching at the top, not just the bottoms. To form a pyramid. Using the 3DALIGN tool I can get 2 sides attached but get stuck trying to get all 3 together.

Any help would be awesome! Thanks very much.

J3d_align_test.dxf

I apologize for the double image above. Not sure what is happening.

If you make one of the 3D objects at the correct angle (since it must tilt inward) then do a polar array you'll have what you are looking for. There is at least one or two other ways to achieve the same result but they would involve a little more work.

Thanks ReMark this is what I am looking for!

How did you know what angle one would tilt inward at though?

I need to do this with 3 different 3D objects (all same size/shape but have different holes in the middle of them) for a work project - once you have done a polar array are you able to find out the angle they sit on, then replace 2 of the objects?

Thanks for the help!

I used some 2D geometry to figure out the angle.

The polar array should be done using one correctly tilted 3D object.

Edited by ReMark

Are you able to explain the 2D geometry at all please ?? This would come in really useful!

Thanks ReMark!

attachment.php?attachmentid=54546&cid=1&stc=1

This should be self-explanatory. When you check the properties of the white line you'll have the angle you need.

3D_truncated pyramid 2.JPG

What seems to be the problem? The rectangles represent the top/bottom of your truncated triangles set at the proper height. Merely draw a line between a pair of them.

Still having a little trouble sorry...

In the picture above, how did you know what the 'proper height' was they would be once on the correct angle?

How did you know what the correct angle was in the first place?

How do I do this with 3 parts which have different holes etc in the middle of them?

When you did a polar array of one part, what was the centre point you are arraying them around?

Maybe are you able to explain any other ways of putting these 3 objects together...?

If you could post a dxf of your initial 2D geometry / completed 3D workings that would be awesome, might help me get it a bit better.

Thanks!!!

Its kind of like a 3d variation of the intersecting circles trick commonly used in 2d Drafting. Quite a few steps to the process, but not too bad in the grand scheme of things. I had originally demoed this technique in this post regarding the creation of a pentagonal dodecahedron:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?50206-Like-a-cube-only-pentagons-in-3d

Doing it with the solids is more hands on than with circles though in a case like this, although I often would use circles like that in a 2D situation.

Less UCS manipulation required. :beer: