Model engraving on curved surface

90eagleTSI

I am trying to figure out what and how is the best means to model the number onto the face of the surface of the cup. Can someone look and help, please. I am trying to create a model (demo) using a trial version to demo to personal here at work to try to step up in this day and age with software and show the benefits of Inventor can and would do for us but this is one thing that I have seemed to have trouble with and I hate for it to hold anything against moving to a better software.

Thank you all for looking.

060.dwg

Wow, so many reviews and still nothing.

Just want to note that the engraving should be perpendicular with the cup though out the engraving (see attached image). Yes, I know some say to use the emboss function but I have and it does not give me the result that I need.

Capture.jpg

In your first post, it sounds like you are promoting Inventor but by the looks of it, you are using AutoCAD. Is this true? Also, I have never heard of an "emboss" function in AutoCAD, and I do not know if this exist in Autodesk Inventor or not.

Yes, you can do that in Inventor with the Emboss command. It performs engraves and embossments in the same tool.

If you want your company to see the benefits of moving, have a VAR come in and have them show either examples close to what you model or provide them enough time ahead of the demo to actually model up your part. We have an office in NC that I am sure could help you out.

I have been working with our local district sales and thought of doing it and it looks I will be going this route either way if I don't move to another company first :D

At this company location its funny as we have several unknowledged personal thinks that the system we have currently is the best and saves us money and thinks that AutoCad Inventor is not worth the move...blah ha ha. But anyway just with that said you can see some of the battles that I am currently fighting.

This then takes me to the point of having to create something to show them without them thinking much of their time is wasted. Honestly, I don't think I will proceed much further with it as I think they overlook the benefits of the subscription and there looking at the ridiculous price of purchasing the seats instead.

Either way back to my question and need of help. Even if we are not able to make the move this thing is getting the best of me and I am very determined with things like this and have to figure it out. I have yet found someone to help me with this and it amazes me at this point as I am thinking I have found one thing Inventor can not do or at ease. The only method that I know works that comes close to what I need is extruding the numbers to a surface plane at the depth required but then I have issues with the 35° angle and radius as required and I have tried "draft" the angle but I believe it's to much to calculate for Inventor.

Anyway the question is can Inventor create the model I am trying to do at this time and if it can...how??? This would be a selling point to point out to the unknowledge personal :)

I will try to run it through our CAM software and simulate it if time allows but until than thank you all.

Yes, you can do that in Inventor with the Emboss command. It performs engraves and embossments in the same tool.

If you want your company to see the benefits of moving, have a VAR come in and have them show either examples close to what you model or provide them enough time ahead of the demo to actually model up your part. We have an office in NC that I am sure could help you out.

This is not promotion of any sort just trying to learn and see if the software can do what I am looking for and at this time I don't believe it can :o

Emboss is a function that works very well in certain situations as needed but not for what I am trying to accomplish and yes it is exist in Inventor and as I know of its been a function of Inventor when released but don't hold that to me, someone that has used it a lot longer can confirm this as MarkFlayer as already confirmed for you.

Center cross geometry on plane

Revolve cross section of pill

Center text geometry on plane perpendicular to cross section

Emboss text onto curved surface.

Offset interior islands to depth

Draft island sidewalls of emboss feature at 35 deg.

Draft outer sidewalls of emboss feature at 35 deg

Fillet bottom corners of emboss feature

Round upper corners of emboss feature

Mirror all features excluding cross section.

ecshclark

THank you very much but I am good up to the point of Draft the sidewalls I am not certain to what I am doing wrong but its not working correctly or as I assume it would be. Have you worked this out yourself in inventor and did it work? Again this was the route I approached but did not succeed.

Thank you very much!

Center cross geometry on plane

Revolve cross section of pill

Center text geometry on plane perpendicular to cross section

Emboss text onto curved surface.

Offset interior islands to depth

Draft island sidewalls of emboss feature at 35 deg.

Draft outer sidewalls of emboss feature at 35 deg

Fillet bottom corners of emboss feature

Round upper corners of emboss feature

Mirror all features excluding cross section.

Make sure you pick the top edges of the emboss feature when appling draft. As you move the cursor around you should be able to see a darker/heavier hi-lighted edge where the draft will start. And you see a little triangle showing the direction of the draft.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your reply but I am getting a error when trying to open..something about reading RSe Stream

Here's the model

I'm on version 2015. If your using an earlier version you can't open it.

Well then that answer a lot then. It may also be the reason I am having some issues with the modeling. Thanks anyways