Help with custom hatch pattern

beardking

I am trying to create a hatch pattern to match a wall tile that a client is using. The tile is 8x16 and it has a 6" offset bond (meaning the 2nd row of tile is offset 6" from the original tile, with a 10" overlap).

I've been trying to work from an existing hatch pattern that is used for a different finish in the drawings, but almost matches. This pattern is an 18x36 rectangular pattern with a 24" offset. I've revised the pattern to the dimensions I want (only changing the dimensions, nothing else), and every time I try to use the pattern, I get the dreaded "Error in Pattern file". I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

This is the pattern that I'm trying to use:

;;

;;

;; 8x16 Wall Tile

;;

*8x16_Wall_Tile, 8x16 Wall Tile

0, 0,8, 0,8

90, 16,0, 0,16, 8,-16

90, 10,0, 0,16, -8,8,-8

90, 6,0, 0,16, -16,8

And this is what I started from:

;;

;;

;; 18x36 Iris EcoCrete Floor Tile

;;

*18x36_Iris_EcoCrete_Floortile, 18x36 Iris EcoCrete Floor Tile

0, 0,18, 0,18

90, 36,0, 0,36, 18,-36

90, 24,0, 0,36, -18,18,-18

90, 12,0, 0,36, -36,18

If anyone can give me some assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Beardking

It would help if you could post the actual pattern file. There are various formatting needs that would not be apparent from posting the content.

If you are using these patterns as stand-alone files instead of being incorporated into the acad.pat file, the file name must be EXACTLY the same as the characters between the "*" and the "," on the first line of the definition file.

So in your case the first line is *8x16_Wall_Tile, 8x16 Wall Tile, and the file name is not quite the same. You have missed out the underscore characters.

I have not had time to actually test it out, but if that succeeds, perhaps you could give feed back.

My colleague found that you needed an empty line at the end of the code before Autocad would read the file properly.

I found time to check the posted file, and it worked perfectly once the file name included the underscore characters (and the extension was changed to .pat) :D

I found time to check the posted file, and it worked perfectly once the file name included the underscore characters (and the extension was changed to .pat) :D

Eldon, you are correct. I replaced the file name and all was right in the world. Thank you very much for the assistance. I have only messed with custom hatch patterns a couple of times and I had no idea about the name thing. But, it makes sense now. Hopefully I'll remember that in the future. :-)

The file name thing is left over from the early days when DOS files names had to be continuous, and could not handle any spaces. If you look at any pattern name, I think you will find that it is always a continuous stream of characters with either a hyphen or underscore to help make sense of the name.

I still find it hard to leave spaces in file names.