Name and location of an Autocad file

gotchy

I just recently had to use a company machine that I do not normally use, as the draftsman assigned to it is on holiday. He is a lot more advanced at Autocad than I am and I noticed that he had his layers all set up with pre-assigned colors for machine parts. For example cams are in red, cam-followers are in blue, shafts are in green etc. Then he puts a legend on the bottom of a print with all the colors identified. My question is what would the name of this file be and would it be found in the Templates folder? Second question: How to go about setting this up initially? I leave a screen shot of an example for your view.

Thanking you in advance,

gotchy

Image00770.jpg

Where did you get this information from?

Did you start a new file using "QNEW"?

If so, check options for the path for QNEW.

QNEW.png

So, did you check the template file to see if it is included with that?

It's impossible to tell you the name of the file or its location based on the information given.

If the legend is a block, you can get the name of the file from that and do a search.

I did search with no success. I am not able to get into that particular machine whenever I want to, maybe it would be best if you have time to show me a way to make my own custom layer colors file that I could permanently enter into my Templates folder.

gotchy

Any drawing can be SAVED as a .dwt (template file).

All you need to do is to open one and SAVE AS A .dwt file, as shown in the screenshot.

Once you have that, and set it as your QNEW default starting template, as Rob suggested, you are ready to go each time you start a new drawing.

SAVEAS  .dwt file.JPG

I did search with no success.

How did you do that without knowing the name?

maybe it would be best if you have time to show me a way to make my own custom layer colors file that I could permanently enter into my Templates folder.

Sorry, I don't have time. Dadgad has given you a good starting point. A search on this site and the rest of the internet will give you more than enough information about how to do this.

Why bother recreating the wheel? Next time you have access to the drawing erase everything but do not purge the drawing. Do a "save as" and select AutoCAD Drawing File Template (.dwt). Now you have something to start with. Rename layers and change colors/linetypes as per your needs. Same goes for text, multileader, and dimension styles if applicable.

I am inclined to agree with ReMark, and that was what I was suggesting, but without as much detail.

When you can, just save it.

Rob I certainly understand where you are coming from, and love the graphic. :beer:

There is nothing vey difficult about doing it, and much to be said for knowing that to be true.

Give a man a fish, and he'll be back tomorrow. Teach a man to fish and he'll be gone all weekend drinking beer with his buddies in a boat. :fishing: