Cannot Snap to Intersection in 2D Layout Drawing

Burner

I am working on a basic 2D interior stone flooring layout shop drawing for a home. It's a 2'-0" x 2'-0" pattern, and maintains this pattern throughout various hallways and rooms.

I need to shift the pattern a few inches vertically and horizontally. In order to do this, I want to snap to an intersection within this layout, and move it to a starting point that has been specified by the architect. I have set the Z geometry to 0", and used the Flatten command (selecting all objects). Even after both of these tasks, I still cannot snap to an intersection of lines within this pattern!

The Apparent Intersection snap works just fine, but I want to find a solution to this problem. Is there something I am missing? Or, perhaps there is a command active that is not allowing me to snap?

PS - I apologize if this is a repost. I already checked various threads prior to this post, but obviously have had no success.

Are you referring to a hatch pattern? You can enable snap for hatch patterns in options.

I'm afraid that moving the hatch is not going to give you the result that you expect. If I'm right, you are going to have to move the origin of the hatch.

I'm going to need a file so I can stop guessing.

Is the intersection in question a gap or do the lines actually intersect?

You can post the file here using the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom right of the quick reply box. I would advise stripping out any company related content like the title block.

Edited by RobDraw

You can use Apparent Intersection but as Rob has pointed out the lines are not at a Z=0 elevation. You probably want to fix that instead.

I guess I am still not getting the process you used to see that Z is 1/128. I my properties menu, I still see 0".

How do I increase my precision? Or, how do I fix this? I want to avoid the Apparent Intersection snap.

Burner, I would change the units to decimal when checking on things like this since many times the error amount will not register with the smallest Architectural setting. You will want to change it back to Architectural when you are done checking and modifying objects. I have some key combinations to toggle that for me, UA and UD so it is quick and easy to do.

A quick way to change precision, without going through the units dialogue, is to change the system variable LUPREC (Length Unit PRECision)

AutoCAD Help is atrocious, no denying that. (Just goes to show, there is no demand for it to improve... but that is another topic...)

FWIW, Help does say that the valid values are 0 to 8

Anyway, that is how I figured this out and a lot of other things many years ago. Trial and error a lot of the time.

The tooltips that appear when you hover over a control used to (but do not now days???) show you the name of the system variable that controlled that settings. I really wish they would restore this across the board.

Ok, for those who would like the details here is a list of the effect of LUPREC on Archtectural units in inches:-

Precision         LUPREC
0'-0"                0
0'-1/2"              1
0'-1/4"              2
0'-1/8"              3
0'-1/16"             4
0'-1/32"             5
0'-1/64"             6
0'-1/128"            7
0'-1/258"            8

I always work in metric units, and even I figured it out.

But as already pointed out, using decimal units will give more precision than Architectural units.

Edited by eldon

This thread has been cleaned and some posts have been removed.

I believe the information that remains should be sufficient enough to consider this topic resolved, yes?

AutoCAD Help is atrocious, no denying that. (Just goes to show, there is no demand for it to improve... but that is another topic...)

FWIW, Help does say that the valid values are 0 to 8

Anyway, that is how I figured this out and a lot of other things many years ago. Trial and error a lot of the time.

The tooltips that appear when you hover over a control used to (but do not now days???) show you the name of the system variable that controlled that settings. I really wish they would restore this across the board.

Not all of them display the system variables in the tool tips in OPTIONS, but when mousing over input fields, some of them do.

Edited by Dadgad