Whats next?

yamyam91

Hi

New person to the Cadtutor.net

I have just completed my autoCAD 2d level 2 at my local technical college its taken me the year to complete. I have also completed my construction management course diploma along side this.

I want to carry on, on the path of autocad.

Whats my best option? what should I do next?

Any help would be great.

Welcome to CADTutor, and congratulations. :)

You've come to the right place, no doubt you will receive lots of suggestions,

plenty of smart members on the forum from numerous disciplines.

Any particular field of interest that gets your juices flowing?

Any work experience to point you in a particular direction?

How is the job market in your area, where are you located?

Thanks for the welcome

I've always worked in the construction trade, I was an apprentice industrial pipefitter for 4 years I have my NVQ level 3 in this.

I then moved into the office of the company I'm at doing project planning and currently trained in ASTA powerproject.

I then completed my Construction management diploma this month along side my AutoCAD 2D Level 2 qualification.

Would love to get into CAD as a full time job.

Just don't know where to go next after my 2D level 2 CAD :(

Would I be at the level to go and train revit MEP? where can I pick up a course in it in the UK?
I'm not sure about the UK. I'm from the United States, so can't help you there. However, I use Revit daily and ReMark is right, it's where the industry is headed.

If you want more info for Revit, and want to connect with a more global community, you should check out http://www.RevitForum.org - lots of UK guys over there that would be able to assist you greatly.

-TZ

I don't see why you could not learn Revit MEP just don't expect it to be anything like plain AutoCAD. It's a whole new way of thinking.

You should consider an entry level job for AutoCAD in the field of your choosing. The best way to learn is through practice after learning the basics. If the field you want to be in requires revit at a later point, then move forward with learning it.

Would I be at the level to go and train revit MEP? where can I pick up a course in it in the UK?

Youtube videos are a good start, the only problem would be cost. You would have to have full Revit as a part of a suite for MEP which is around 5 thousand pounds and the official training for a 3 day course was c£1500. You'd be better off trying for a job at an M&E consultant and getting trained up at their cost, being a basic AutoCAD user would help their. Believe me the industry is crying out for designers especially as from next year anything 100% UK government funded will have to be produced to BIM level 2 (google that term but don't look too deep into otherwise you'll get scared off, I think they make it deliberately hard to understand!), this is about 40% of all construction so alot of jobs that won't need BIM will probably wind up produced in Revit or ArchiCAD (very small but vocal following in Europe) just for practice or because they realize the benefits.

It doesn't matter how far you've taken your AutoCAD learning as Revit is totally different to use (it is it's own programme, not an AutoCAD extension) but there is a 2d element to it so you won't have wasted what you learnt in AutoCAD.

Where in the UK are you?