Unable to Copy and Paste

I frequently use Designers drawing to extract lines and points quickly. However I currently have a drawing that doesn't appear to allow me to paste the polyline I have selected into a new drawing. It's a Road Line that I want to extract to save me punching lots of coord values in myself. The layer properties manager shows it to be there after I paste it but when I zoom to extents there is no sign. Has it something to do with 3D? Also if I try to draw a new line over the existing one instead it doesnt appear to allow me to snap onto the existing points so I dont appear to do that either. Any help appreciated.

Not sure. How do I establish that? I am just pasting to original coords so does that matter? I just want to extract it and then I will move it to my own coord system but i cant seem to paste it!

The way you are describing it sounds like it should work.

Did you ever install any service packs for AutoCAD 2012 (assuming that is the program you are running at the moment)?

Have you tried shutting down AutoCAD then restarting? Maybe it is a momentary glitch.

In your new drawing is the layer already established and turned off? You say you know it's there because the layer properties, which makes me assume it's the only thing on that layer. You could always try to QSELECT the object, then ZOOM to the previous object by typing "Z" enter, "O" enter, "P" enter. As it may be there, just too small to see.