Graphics / Visibility

resullins

Ok, I know just enough about Revit to get my CAD files out of an Architect's file... so forgive the newb.

I am using a view the architect created, 1/16 scale, overall floorplan, to create the elevations and sections I need. First and foremost, there are a BILLION views in this file, which gets a little confusing, so I'm trying to stick to the views I know to do this. There's one (possibly more) views where when I got to the Visibility / Graphics override dialogue to turn on annotation elements (so I can see the elevation and section tags I'm placing) everything is greyed out. I can't turn these things on. Is it locked or something? Can I unlock it? Is it just a setting?

Thanks!

In your properties box - about halfway down there is something called the View Template. Select that and you'll find a bunch of overrides.

A lot of times what I'll do is just create a new Floor Plan View entirely. This way, you're positive that no overrides exist (unless there's been a View Templated connected to the Floor Plan View Type, but that's usually not the case). Anyways, this is where you'll see EVERYTHING in the plan view and usually is pretty messy. Now you can go turn things off that you don't want to see. For instance, I always go to V/G and Annotations tab, and immediately turn off three things: Reference Planes, Scope Boxes and Matchlines. Then I set the scale to 1/8" and set the Detail Level to High. Select everything in the View by pick+drag from Right to Left, hit the Filter icon in the Modify Ribbon, and uncheck everything other than Views, Sections and Elevations and type EH to Hide Elements. This cleans it up further, but doesn't hide the category of the sections and elevations. NOW you can place your own Sections and Elevations, without getting them all confused with the preexisting ones. A key thing is to place one, open it up, set the Detail Level, hide unwanted things, etc, and go back to Plan and now you can copy that Section or Elevation around as many times as you want, rotating as needed. This is a quick way to procedurally set up the "Views" so they're consistent. I mean, if this is just going to be for export purposes, that is.

Or you can always just stay inside Revit and save the trouble, *wink wink*. :)

Been on my death-bed sick for four days. Sorry I didn't post earlier. Time to get up outta bed and feel alive again.

-TZ