weldments

indigo

Hi,

I'm trying to put some fillet welds on my assembly drawing but it would take two faces to create a weld..what might be the best way to do these...Im trying to make it look like the picture on the left

Thanks

welds.jpg

You have posted in the SOLIDWORKS forum, but your profile says you are using Autocad 2014.

Looking at the image, and based on the terminology I will guess that you are using Solidworks, but please clarify,

and or correct your user profile if appropriate.

I don't use Solidworks, and there is probably some very cool way to do this with Solidworks, someone will likely know.

If I had to do this in Autocad I would SWEEP an appropriately sized triangle along the weld PATH.

Either way, please respond/clarify software question. :)

All the welds cannot be applied in one go, you have to do them individually.

e.g.

The Machined boss is welded to the top of the Hollow section

End plate 1 is welded to end 1 of the hollow section

End plate 2 is welded to the opposite end.

So, you should have 3 seperate welds in your feature tree.

In order to create the weld all you have to do is select the 1st face (top of hollow section) and then for second surface, select all the machined boss's surfaces that are in contact with the top of the hollow section

You have posted in the SOLIDWORKS forum, but your profile says you are using Autocad 2014.

I've requested on several occasions that the profile software list be updated as Solidworks and non Autodesk software is not on the list.

Still waiting......

I've requested on several occasions that the profile software list be updated as Solidworks and non Autodesk software is not on the list.

Still waiting......

Just checked it out, I see what you mean, should think there would be an OTHER field which would be writable.

As it stands, one would have to choose NOT APPLICABLE, as if to imply that there is no CAD but Autocad, which is a rather moot point.

Reads like a tacit endorsement, no?

We will have to convene the Moot Council for clarification and guidance.

I see that you have come up with a signature work around though, which is helpful! :beer:

I see that you have come up with a signature work around though, which is helpful! :beer:

Haha, yeah I suppose I have, but the intention was actually to show my sheer disgust and dislike of Creo. :thumbsup:

Haha, yeah I suppose I have, but the intention was actually to show my sheer disgust and dislike of Creo. :thumbsup:

Yes, that had been duly noted. :beer:

No ambiguity there.

Hi stevsmith,

I'm having trouble with the 85 degree angle on the drawing..I tried to chamfer both sides of the cylinder to 3 x85 degrees but it didnt work..there was a build error.. what might be the best way to make this 85 degrees

Thanks..

cross section.jpg

I wouldn't add an 85Deg Chamfer.

It would be best to draw half the profile (omit the 45Deg Chamfers) as a sketch and then use the revolve command to complete the profile.

Then add 45Deg chamfers.

Then add in your two tapped holes.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a presentation at SWW this year on the enhancements to weldments and some examples. Weldments in the past 2 years have gotten a lot of attention from Solidworks. Depending on what version you are using might change how you approach this.

http://www.solidworks.com/sww/Presentation_Archives.htm

Search for presenter name Perez and the video will come up.

Most importantly in 2015 you can weld across gaps and between edges of a single body(bent sheet metal parts). If you are using a much older version then a weld might not work. There are fillet beads and weld beads in SW. Fillet beads are more of a cosmetic options. Weld beads will show on the screen but are what is used in the industry.