Serious problems with viewports and orientation

Sheepdisease

I don't recall mentioning the use of the Stretch command. Try using the object grips to change the size is what I am suggesting.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sheepdisease

• ReMark

• Dadgad

• SEANT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did explain in my previous post..

What specifically should I try regarding grip edit? By the way, I have grips enabled and the problem I have is with a 3d object rather than a polyline, grip edit does not appear...

I did share a screenshot showing this.

QbMDlD3.png

I don't use the ribbon, prefer the toolbars, on the SOLID EDITING toolbar you can find appropriate tools specifically for working with 3D Solids.

On the Ribbon for 3D Basics profile, HOME tab, you will find panels for EDIT and MODIFY, both of which have drop down panels, if you click on them to expand them, you will find the tools you need. After you expand those sections, you can pin them open with the little Push Pin icons, so they won't automatically collapse, until you unpin them.

solid editing toolbar.jpg

Try holding down the CTRL key then selecting the object. You should see the grips displayed in red. If you want to stretch (negative or positive direction) the face of a rectangle you have to select each edge first.

Another option would be to purchase the 3D Stretch utility from a company called SimpleCAD. The cost is $50 U.S. Here's a link...

http://www.simplecad.com/need-to-stretch-3d-objects-in-autocad.htm

Thank you both for your replies.

Try holding down the CTRL key then selecting the object. You should see the grips displayed in red. If you want to stretch (negative or positive direction) the face of a rectangle you have to select each edge first.

This has helped me to change the width of a shape. Now I am left wondering if the same method can be used to specify the overall size from side to side, as I know the total width but entering it increases the overall width by this much on top of the original size which clearly I do not want.

For example, I want the width of this shape to be 484.

elbrRa6.png

I have attached the file for reference as requested.

Layout.dwg

You're making this more difficult than it needs to be.

The technique I mentioned above will work IF you subtract the existing width from the new overall width then enter the difference at the command line AFTER highlighting each face by first pressing the CTRL key then selecting the four edges. Another option would be the Move Faces command. With either method the user must drag their mouse in the direction they want to go so it helps if your UCS is oriented properly or one uses the Dynamic UCS feature.

I think you need to read up on both methods (see your Help file or buy a good after-market AutoCAD book) prior to trying them.

Edited by ReMark

Okay, thank you once again. I will see whether I can get this sussed soon.

In the mean time, I am having problems with the size of my annotations and wondered if someone could please take a look at the file and tell me what the problem is and how to fix it? I have spent about an hour trying every different combination of text sizes to no avail.

9b5myzj.png

Layout.dwg

I can't download the file but from the screen capture I can see your drawing in decimal and you annotation scale is set to 1:1. This means that whatever size text you use in model space it will be the same size in your layout. Change your annotation scale in your status bar to 1:50. It's paperspace units to modelspace units. So if you place text in modelspace 50 units in height it will be 1 unit in height in paperspace. You will have to experiment with your annotation setting and see what works best for you 1:50 ratio should be a good starting point. I always place my annotations in paperspace when I can so I don't have to deal with annotation scales to much. I still have some like the text in blocks and xref's. But for the most part everything is labeled in paperspace.

Thank you for your reply, I adjusted the setting according to your recommendations and this does not seem to have made a difference. I tried a combination of different scales and text/arrow heights and this made no difference either.

What is the reason you cannot download the file?

Have you selected your text to be annotative? I don't think I mentioned that in my last post. If your text is not annotative then the annotation scale will not affect it. The reason I cant download the file is because are IT guru is 17 yrs old, learned everything he knows about computers from playstation.

Something I read very early on was to ensure that annotative text was selected:

FBeGFc3.png

Even in this preview you cannot see the text..

You do not necessarily have to use annotative text. It is not a hard and fast rule. For example, I do tank fabrication drawings where all the geometry is placed in model space but all text and dimensions are placed in my paper space layout. The only thing I need to do is make sure that my dimensions are "associative" which is NOT the same as being annotative. Heck, if you really wanted to you could go "old school" and put everything in model space including text and dimensions (not annotative though!) and still have them be readable when plotted IF you know what scale factor to apply when determine such things as text height and leader size.

That's a fair point, but in this instance I am still not able to see the text despite my attempts and taking your suggestions into account.

I have not availed myself of the opportunity to look at your most recently attached drawing. Give me a moment.

Well the first thing I notice is the drawing appears to be metric but I'm almost positive you did NOT utilize a metric template file and that could very well account for the problems you are having as you are mixing apples (metric) with oranges (imperial). In other words you used a drawing template file set up to recognize decimal inches. You see where this might lead to some problems right?

Now I know some people dimension 3D models but I am not one of them. I extract 2D views from my 3D models and dimension those views. But you are free to do whatever you want since it is your drawing.

Suggestion: when adding dimensions or text to a drawing it is always a good idea to create a separate layer for each and assign them different colors (please, anything but white).

Lastly, could you please stop overriding layer colors. It's really frustrating when users do that. Assign a color to a layer and keep it that way unless there is a really good reason why it should be overridden using the Color option of Properties or Quick Properties. When I am on a layer that has a specific color assigned to it in the Layer Properties Manager (ex. - blue) and I draw a line on that layer but it turns out to be white (or any other color than blue) it makes me want to shake someone hard enough to knock some sense into them.

Edited by ReMark

Okay, I may well have chosen the wrong template, but how do I go about changing those settings retrospectively in this file? When I checked the units it looked fine:

LtkvqJK.png

I was not aware that you could assign colours to layers, I certainly did not consciously override the layer colours, I just clicked on 'New Layer' for each layer I wanted to create.

Users can assign a color and a linetype to each layer they create in the Layer Properties Manager.

The UNITS command is not going to help you. I figured out a way around the problem by putting the dimensions in the layout.

So is there no way to retrospectively change the imperial template I may have chosen for the metric template without creating a new document? Also, what is the template called for choosing metric for future reference?

QUbNNeS.png

This image was taken from my layout.

The viewport (VP) is the magenta colored rectangle. The layer it is on, VPorts, is set not to print in the Layer Properties Manager but it does display.

I changed the layer color that the rack was on to blue and changed the color setting of all objects on that layer to "ByLayer".

I created a layer called Dimensions, gave it the color red, set all parts of the layer to use color "ByLayer" and placed the dimensions in my layout NOT in model space. I used the ISO-25 dimstyle.

Unfortunately I have to go in a couple of minutes and will not return to this thread until tomorrow morning. I'll check back then.

I suggest you get yourself a good after-market AutoCAD book and look at some of the tutorials here at CADTutor and at a place called mycadsite.com which comes highly recommended by many users.

Good luck.

Stereo_1.jpg

Thank you for your detailed explanation of using layout and adding dimensions to it.

You were right, I opened a new ACADISO.DWT file and copied and pasted the objects into that from the other template file and when I tried adding annotative dimensions it worked straight away, so the entire issue revolved around using the wrong template.

So surely there must be a way to retrospectively convert a template in use from imperial to metric, rather than having to create a new document and transfer all objects etc?

The -DWGUNITS (including the hyphen) command, great care must be taken to follow the commandline prompts, as there are a number of different options available, including scaling of the database.

I would suggest that if you want to try using it, you do so on a COPY of the file, lest you get lead further afield, due to having not used it previously, or commandline prompt inattention.