New line type and font

CADMAN57

Good morning...

I'm creating a set of new utility line types for our surveying department. Water lines, sewer, and so forth. They will all have a "W" or "SS" in them, depicting the type of line. I want them to look differently from our civil department's lines, so I am trying to make them with an oblique text style.

I created a new text style called Simplex, and used the simplex.shx font type with it. However, the line styles I created don't recognize that I put an obliquing angle on the text style. And, of course, the simplex.shx doesn't allow you to put an obliquing font style on.

My problem is that these drawings might be sent to clients who don't have civil 3D, but are using other software, so I don't want to stray from the simplex.shx too far. Anyone have any ideas?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADMAN57

• eldon

• ReMark

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started a new drawing from scratch, and created a Text style called simplex using a 15 degree oblique angle.

Then I made a layer with a linetype using the simplex textstyle.

The first picture is when I drew a line only.

The second picture is with some Dtext and a regen. All lines drawn after the Dtext have the obliquing.

My AutoCAD must be more magic than yours :lol:

together.jpg

huh...I don 't get that at all....what version are you in? I'm in 2013...

This keeps up, you might be doing my standards for me...

Right...with all the cool old stuff it used to have weeded out....like the scale in place option...still miss that one...thanks anyway, eldon...my search continues...

I doubt very much it has anything to do with the version of AutoCAD you are running compared to the version eldon is running. You have any idea how long the Simplex font has been a part of AutoCAD?

In your linetype definition file did you set the relative rotation?

Well, I know it was in existence in 1988 when I started all this...that was Softdesk 10. And of course I did. This is about fonts...

To go back to your first post

...... And, of course, the simplex.shx doesn't allow you to put an obliquing font style on.

I managed to put an Oblique Angle in the text style Effects, not in the Font Style. Is that your problem?

simplex-style.PNG

if you could post a drawing with only one line of your linetype, I could open it up with my version, and see if I get the same effect.

good of you to ask, but if you're running 2002, I doubt that's possible. 2002 and 2013 don't play together well...:roll:

Living as I do with an older version, I have DWG Trueview to convert for me.

But possibly to save some time, here is my linetype file:

*AG_SVY,Survey boundary ----SVY----SVY----SVY----SVY----SVY----SVY--

A,.5,-.2,["SVY",simplex,S=.1,R=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.25

There seems to be a sudden hush by the OP.

Are we to assume that there was a slight error in the OP's linetype definition?

Feed back would be useful for anyone following this thread.

:) Neither, actually...found a shape file (gbeitc.shx) that is standard issue in cad, and has an oblique angle out of the box. Works in the line style just fine...thanks for all your attempts....really do appreciate it....

Do you want to find out what went wrong with your initial linetype? Perhaps you could post your linetype definition file.

Even with the new font, I had to put some text into the drawing first before it behaved itself.

sloping.PNG