moving or copying objects

ankramos

I have moved a water closet to the top view of a floor plan exactly where it belongs. When I change to view to se iso the water closet is out side of the floor plan . I cant recall how to make sure that it is placed on the correct location . Should I make sure it only recognizes the end points? I am using 2014 autocad

We're talking about a 3D drawing correct?

When you moved the water closet were you working in an isometric view?

Accurate placement depends on the use of osnaps.

The plans when I go into model space are first in top view (not 3d)just a flat plans of a building , I move the water closet to the location I want , when I change the view to se isometric the water closet is outside the building .

Thanks

Why would you be looking at a 2D drawing using an isometric view? Well whatever the reason my guess is that when you moved the water closet you did not pick on the object itself when asked by AutoCAD to define a base point.

Maybe it is 3D and it just appears to be outside the building in iso view because the "Z" value is not correct. I'd pick a straight on elevation view, like Left, Right, Back, or Front to see where the toilet really is.

Or maybe it is a series (ex. - three floors) of 2D floor plans that someone set at the proposed elevation of each like a stack of pancakes.

Or maybe it is a series (ex. - three floors) of 2D floor plans that someone set at the proposed elevation of each like a stack of pancakes.
yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at. The second floor toilet is located x & y wise on the first floor, so ISO makes it look like its out in the parking lot.

Ive been away from autocad for over a year . The floor plan was in 3-d, I exploded doors, walls and was left with a just the floor plan. I am supposed add a water closed in the top view of this floor plan where it calls for one, and then view it in Se iso . but it is outside the building when I view it in se iso . Basically I move it to the correct location on the top view and appears correct , but when view in se iso its outside the building. its only one floor

I feel like I'm on a tilt-a-whirl. So now it's a 3D drawing that some objects have been exploded. Sounds like a recipe for a disaster. What ever possessed you to explode portions of a 3D drawing?

My suggestion is start over with the 3D drawing and do NOT explode anything. Switch to the isometric view of your choice make sure your UCS icon is reoriented correctly. Is there some feature common to both floors you can use as a starting/ending basepoint (a doorway, window, etc.)?

The plans when I go into model space are first in top view (not 3d)just a flat plans of a building

Confusing statement.

I'm going to make an assumption here and that the OP has received a file from an architect so that he can produce a plumbing drawing. Please, let me know if this is incorrect.

The solution is to be aware of your drawing environment. Just because a file opens up in a plan view does not mean it is 2D. If you get a 3D drawing and prefer to work in 2D, there are a few ways to make sure you don't erroneously put your stuff at a Z coordinate. Exploding is not one of them. I hope you have an unedited version of the architect's file.