assembly question

johhny comelately

an assembly of two parts has to have a cut extrusion put through the two parts after a certain alignment.

i created a sketch on the assembly to do this successfully but the change on the individual parts does not go back to the parts, any suggestions?

3D model features created at the assembly level only apply to the assembly. This allows you to modify an assembly after it is bolted, welded together, etc., without changing the original part. Just the way it would be received in the real world before assembling them and then modifying the assembly in some manner. Any features you want on a part prior to assembling, you need to create on/in the part. One way to share geometry between parts is to project geometry from one part into a sketch of another part. If you change the projected geometry on the first part, it will change on the second part when you update the assembly.

ok, i will try projecting geometry from the assembly back to the part that has been modified after alignment/ assembly.

thank you

what i ended up doing was recreating the sketches from the assembly onto the individual parts by copy/paste and positioning them and then doing the cut extrude.

it worked but is long winded but good practice.

thanks to all.