Creating Complicated Thin Wall Plastics

MBalducci1990

I am starting to get into more complicated models via Inventor 2016. My background to CAD is limited to autodesk inventor. I own a '13 Ducati Hypermotard that I model parts off of and create parts for with a 3D printer. It has been good practice but I want to get into modeling more complicated plastic parts.

The plastic fairings for example: how would someone go about modeling those? Is Inventor the wrong tool? Or is it only possible using Freeform?

Here's an example, how would I go about modeling the handguard below? I wouldn't mind some good reference material on YouTube or similar. My Inventor textbook is awfully limited at this level.

hypermotard_mirror_bar_deta.jpg

oooh, I would recommend Autodesk Fusion instead. Many more tools for what you are doing there and I know a few guys that model their bike parts in there too.

If you stick with Inventor on this, then yes Freeform is the way to go, but those tools are only a glimpse with what you can do with Fusion.

Thanks for the replies.

MarkFlayler, I think you may be right. I never used Fusion, but some stuff people had made on there are impressive. It is also important that I mention that I am a Engineering student. Currently getting an associates at a community college in engineering science and going to transfer to a mechanical engineering school. I am edging to product design and entrepreneurship in my future. I am currently unemployed making ends meet with side work so i'd like to jump into a CAD modeling job ASAP. I see alot of local employment opportunities are primarily AutoCAD, then Solidworks, and then Inventor. I feel overwhelmed by the different software out there. I've only used Inventor and recently bought Solidworks. I tried jumping into Solidworks and I had a hell of time using it. Now you're throwing Fusion into the mix. It seems you have to be multilingual with software to be competitive.

Bigal thanks for the link, I will have to sit through those videos one day. Maybe it will give me an edge in solidworks.

The part would not be that difficult to model in Inventor. From this one picture I would say the part was not created with a freeform tool, but just regular ole 3D CAD. Look at the profile(s), look at the cross sections. It's just a bunch of easily measurable lines and arcs. I doubt if a spline was used to create any of the geometry. I would probably would use the shell command as one of the final steps.