Moving a Part

indigo

Hi,

I'm having a hard time positioning the two triangles at a certain distance(please see attached photo) I tried the width mate but the triangle is at the center and I would like to move it according to the drawing shown ...what might be the best move?

Thanks..

jpg.jpg

jpg2.jpg

Use a standard distance mate.

If you have correctly aligned the model to the assembly plane, you can use the plane parallel to the face of your triangular piece and set an offset distance.

If you haven't aligned you assembly planes then a couple of basic math calcs can be used to offset from the base plate face to the triangular piece outside face.

This part should be drawn as a weldment, not an assembly. You want to do everything in a single part. If you start by making the file a weldment, by default the "merge results" is deselected making all new features their own body. It also has some other benefits like detailed cutlists and you can do welds.

For this part you can draw that triangle on your front(or right or top depending on orientation) plane and simply use the "From" drop down in the feature to offset the extrude operation rather than starting it from the sketch plane. After one is created just mirror it. Weldments also have Gusset options.