Importing .dgn into AutoCAD Linework doesn't show.

edoll

Hello, I should first note that I am aware of this thread which gives great instructions on how to import a dgn file into AutoCAD:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?35543-DGN-files-in-AutoCAD

I follow the instructions as follows:

1. Enter IMPORT at the command line. Ensure that Micro Station DGN (*.dgn) is selected from the drop down list of ‘Files of type’.Select the .dgn file you wish to convert.

2. In the box that appears:

Ensure ‘Model’ is selected from the ‘design model from the DGN file’

Ensure ‘Translate references to DWG xrefs’ is selected.

Ensure ‘Master units’ is selected.

Ensure ‘Explode text nodes to text elements’ is selected.

Select OK.

3. This will open a new drawing. In the new drawing, click Format ØPoint Style.

Ensure the . (top left hand box) is selected. Click OK.

4. Save / print / view, as you would normally.

I do all of this and I do not have any linework showing up - all of the layers are listed. I do not understand a few things though and maybe this is the issue. Under Step #2 above it says "Ensure ‘Model’ is selected from the ‘design model from the DGN file’" - But I do not have "Model" as an option I only have "Design". Also in step 3 I have no clue what that means but I did research and find that ddptype brings up a dialog box which is similar and I make sure that is clicked.

Any idea why i cannot see the linework? I would Attach the .dgn file, but it is 637 kb and I guess the limit is 500kb lol of course this would happen.

Please help me figure this one out, im dying here!

You can upload the file to a website like Dropbox and post a link here. Then anyone who wants to take a look at your file can do so.

No luck here with either one. Seems like you got a whole lot of nothing. I'll think on it then give it another try.

I can open the DGN in MicroStation and save it as a DWG. Then it opens in AutoCAD without a problem. I'm not sure where the problem lies when opening the DGN in AutoCAD. Do you have access to MicroStation or could you get a test version and do the save as DWG there.

Gee! Thanks Tyke! I do not have access to Microstation and while I could get a test version and do it myself...This isn't going to be a regular deal with file transfers. So you just made my day by helping me get a dwg version. Thanks ReMark for helping as well. I truly appreciate your efforts!

It contains 3086 entities, 10 textstyles, 3 linetypes, 92 levels (layers), 2 dimension styles and 4 blocks.

I suppose the entity count could be including non-graphical entities, such as dictionaries and regapps....

But DBLIST reports nothing in the graphical part of the drawing.

tool.jpg

Edited by rkmcswain
add url

Gee! Thanks Tyke! I do not have access to Microstation and while I could get a test version and do it myself...This isn't going to be a regular deal with file transfers. So you just made my day by helping me get a dwg version. Thanks ReMark for helping as well. I truly appreciate your efforts!

I'm glad I could be of help.

But it did not solve the problem it just gave you a work around to get you going. I shall leave it to the better minds of ReMark and rkmcswain to come up with the identified problem and then the solution.

It's a love-hate relationship between me and MicroStation, I just love to hate MicroStation. But let's not open that can of worms again! There are loads of people out there that just love working with MS and hate AutoCAD. You pay your money and take your choice. I always found that the best way of getting MicroStation data into AutoCAD was to save it as DWG or DXF.

Are the linestyles not showing up or just line work in general?

If it is linestyles you most likely need a dgnlinstyle.shx which will contain Microstation linestyles and custom linestlyes. Note some custom linestyles are not compatible with ACAD.

you can google dgnlinestyle.shx and download the basic linestyles