P-F structural drafting project

Legacy14

I want to again thank all of you who have been posting comments to help those of us struggling with P-F projects, especially ReMark and Hondatek. Your help is priceless.

I have a question about the structural drafting (actually a couple). I am a novice when it comes to Autocad and drafting. But I am a quick learner. I'm a visual-tactile/kinesthetic. I learn by seeing and doing. The study units do not do such a great job of showing what the various parts look like, especially in relation to the projects we must complete. I'm still learning to transition my thinking to drafting.

On the first plate of the project, I have to create an I-beam. It says I can create it as a block. How do I do that and how specific do I have to be? 2nd question: on plate 2 we have to show the outside elevation view of the long side 72' of the building with the underground footings. Is there some type of visual that can give me an idea of what a portion of that elevation looks like?o:)

Footnote: I already drew out the sketch for plate 1, I just need to put it in Autocad. The delay was creating an I-beam block.:)

Draw the I beam as you normally would then invoke the BLOCK command. Give you block a name (ex. - W8x31), specify a basepoint by picking somewhere on the geometry (ex. - endpoint or midpoint of the bottom of the I beam), under Objects select "Convert to block", then click on the Select Objects button. You'll be popped back into AutoCAD where you can select your I beam geometry. Back in the Block dialog window click on the OK button. You're done. Now copy the block where you need it or use the ARRAY command to create rows and columns containing your block.

Re: elevation of building. There are a handful of threads that have images of what the elevation should look like. You should not have any trouble finding one.

I did find the threads for the elevation. Good visuals. I believe I can do that now. Silly question about the I-beam:since it is a line drawing, how do I create the beam? It is a W12x152. I looked in the appendix and it gives very specific dimensions. Do I just need to do the basic dimensions or do I need to have it with all of the specifics? I apologize for the silly questions, but once I get it, I'm good.

I've never drawn an I-beam. I'm very new to Autocad. A beginner. I'm learning pretty fast thigh. With your comments on the Oleson village, I was able to complete most of the drawing in just a few hours as opposed to the weeks I put into trying to figure out what it was actually talking about. A very difficult first project I thought.

Draw the I beam using the specific dimensions given. The flanges are located at the top and bottom of the beam. They run horizontally and are typically thicker than the web. The web connects the two flanges and runs vertically. It is centered on the flanges. W12 refers to the rough height of the beam; 152 is the weight in pounds per lineal feet. Got all that?

And "thank you" for your very kind comments re: my post on the Oleson Village project. Unfortunately, despite my efforts to point out errors in the instructions for some of the P-F projects they have been slow at times to follow my advice. I figure it will take another five years before they correct everything.

Edited by ReMark

In the "Structural Drafting with AutoCAD" PDF you were given regarding this project, on page 8, it reads...

"All of the columns in the building are I-beams with the designation of W12 × 152. For the dimensions associated with this designation, consult Appendix H in your supplement containing the appendices and glossary. Create a layer named W12 ×152 with the color yellow and a continuous linetype."

My advice: follow the instructions and refer to the supplement. If you do not have the supplement or have misplaced it you can find all the pertinent information you need in the Manual of Steel Construction - Allowable Stress Design as published by the AISC (American Institute of Steel Construction). Refer to page 1-28 W Shapes Dimensions. W12x152 is listed.

Oh, never mind. Here are the rough dimensions that will suffice as far as Penn-Foster is concerned.

Depth (i.e. - height) = 13 3/4"

Web thickness = 7/8"

Flange width = 12 1/2"

Flange thickness = 1 3/8"

Create your block on layer 0 so that when inserted on the proper layer it takes on both the color and linetype of that layer. Understand?

keep going don't slow down. i googled a lot on this course. and this forum. I made temples on alot of stuff and i insert into drawing. like the border is all the same for every drawing. here is a video that will help you.

good luck