Color me Baffled

Behemothrex

Hey guys,

Well when I get to the end of my rope I can always count on you guys to help me out. I am taking a 100 level cad class online and frankly the teacher is terrible, and I am not sure this is a 100 level project.

So far we have read one chapter about orthographic projections did a crap ton of 3 view ortho drawings, by hand none the less and a few using CAD.

Now this is dropped in my lap! And the main problem is I am having a hard time deciphering the dimensions. Like if you look at the top drawing, how do you get the length dimension for the bottom of the part, and what are the little V marks?

I have completed about half of the front view, but without a length I am finding it hard to place the circle with the 2.75 radius on the right side.

I mean I have taken 200 level classes and aced them but this guy doesn't give you anything to study, just here you go complete this drawing, and by the way do it backwards! Bah sorry just a bit frustrated.

I know you are probably supposed to use the bottom view to find the length of the front view but for the life of me I just can't see it.

Any suggestions would be helpful I am taking a break from this for a bit before I punch in my monitor! :ouch:

Thanks

TD-7-119-IN.pdf

I think I'm getting what you are looking for... Why wouldn't you just redraw what is already given to you? That would be the easiest way to get any dimension you wanted. See attached.

BOTTOM DIMENSION.dwg

Also, I wouldn't pay attention to the 'v' marks. I'm quite sure they have to do with machine finishing. Could be wrong though.

The overall bottom dimension is calculated by using the information given in the lower view. Now I am having a somewhat difficult time discerning the one dimension that looks like it reads 8.75, but to that one would add the center-to-center dimension of 0.25 (twice; one for each end) then add in the radius of 0.75 (twice; one for each end). Total: 10.75 (assuming the 8.75 is correct).

Thanks guys, now I see it. Technically I am not required to draw the bottom, as they just want the front, top and left sides, but yah drawing that bit would have made sense.

I have just never had a drawing where you could not simply discern the dimensions even if you had to add them up, buy looking at the page.

Seems like having to draw it out to get the dimensions kind of defeats the point of putting on dimensions in the first place. LOL

Its always nice to see new approaches to a problem.

Thanks again guys.

The overall bottom dimension is calculated by using the information given in the lower view. Now I am having a somewhat difficult time discerning the one dimension that looks like it reads 8.75, but to that one would add the center-to-center dimension of 0.25 (twice; one for each end) then add in the radius of 0.75 (twice; one for each end). Total: 10.75 (assuming the 8.75 is correct).

I figured he was looking for a linear dimension, which wasn't really given unless you did the math given the angle. Adding all those dimensions give you an aligned dimension, but that wouldn't much help if he was trying to draw a different view. IMO. I don't have to draw parts much anymore though.

Thanks guys, now I see it. Technically I am not required to draw the bottom, as they just want the front, top and left sides, but yah drawing that bit would have made sense.

I have just never had a drawing where you could not simply discern the dimensions even if you had to add them up, buy looking at the page.

Seems like having to draw it out to get the dimensions kind of defeats the point of putting on dimensions in the first place. LOL

Its always nice to see new approaches to a problem.

Thanks again guys.

You didn't have to draw the whole thing, but it helps if you can't find a dimension. Good luck on the rest of the drawing!

I just drew the bottom like in your example just so I could get the linear dimension for the front view. I am not going to spend a lot of time on this as I have never dealt with this much hidden line work, rounds, or ribs, etc before and I think the instructor is on crack. Plus he doesn't tell you how many other drawings you have to do, so I can't spend days on this I have to move on.

Thanks again!