Help: Command and Selection Pause

PaulS00

Hello,

So I recently upgraded to C3D 2016, which was a mistake. After a week of observation across different projects and drawings, there is a 3-5 second pause when initiating a command and after I end the command. For example, when I hit 'E' to erase a line, there is the 3-5 sec pause, I erase the line, then once I hit enter or ESC to end the command, there is another 3-5 sec pause. Also, when I click to select an object, it pauses again.

I've researched different possible solutions to no avail and to the point where I've forgotten what solutions I have tried. Just today, I copied everything into a fresh new drawing, which didn't solve the problem. My computer specs are above the minimum requirements per the AutoDesk website. I never had this issue with 2013. Ugh!

Thoughts?

Thanks,

TD

Check out your command line input and search settings (the wrench on the command line panel).

How old your computer and does it get regular maintenance?

Do you have hardware acceleration on or off? The little blue circle at the bottom right of your screen, click it and then turn Hardware acc off or on and try a command again.

What is your autosave time interval? Autosave waits in the background and looks for a "program interrupt" in order to run. It should be set for 20 to 30 minute intervals at the least, so it does not become annoying.

Put simply, a program interrupt occurs when some other executed command causes the program to change the algorithm it is running at the moment, and execute a new set of instructions.

Autosave takes advantage of the pause and runs right then, if the interrupt occurs on or after it's autosave interval time. If the Autosave interval is too short, then you will be watching a whole lot of pauses. Also, the larger the drawing, the longer the pause for autosave is.

Check out your command line input and search settings (the wrench on the command line panel).

How old your computer and does it get regular maintenance?

Please elaborate on the command line and search settings please.

I think it's about 3 years old. I maintain all of our PC's. I regularly run CCleaner and check to make sure unwanted programs and autoupdate services aren't running. I have also set our Symantec Endpoint Protection to exclude CAD files from being scanned. Virus scan is set to run weekly during lunch hour.

Do you have hardware acceleration on or off? The little blue circle at the bottom right of your screen, click it and then turn Hardware acc off or on and try a command again.

Off.

What is your autosave time interval? Autosave waits in the background and looks for a "program interrupt" in order to run. It should be set for 20 to 30 minute intervals at the least, so it does not become annoying.

Put simply, a program interrupt occurs when some other executed command causes the program to change the algorithm it is running at the moment, and execute a new set of instructions.

Autosave takes advantage of the pause and runs right then, if the interrupt occurs on or after it's autosave interval time. If the Autosave interval is too short, then you will be watching a whole lot of pauses. Also, the larger the drawing, the longer the pause for autosave is.

AutoSave is disabled. I am OCD about hitting CTRL+S periodically.

Due to the lack of response, me thinks the pause may have gotten a lot longer.

HA!

Thanks for the input guys. Still lagging and it happens in all drawings the more there is to them.

Please elaborate on the command line and search settings please.

It sounds like you might have a resource problem. Check out these settings and see if turning them off helps.

Have you tried turning on hardware acceleration? Why is it off?

You may want to turn off any of the on-line features, also.

It sounds like you might have a resource problem. Check out these settings and see if turning them off helps.

Have you tried turning on hardware acceleration? Why is it off?

You may want to turn off any of the on-line features, also.

What settings are you referring to?

I turned it off to see if that would help speed things up at all. I turned it back on and had no effect.

How do I turn off the online features?

What settings are you referring to?

How do I turn off the online features?

I'm not really familiar with this. Do a search on "Info Center".

Have you verified that the computers exceed the minimum specs suggested for C3D?

You also should check out a C3D forum as most here are not familiar with it and it is a quite unique form of AutoCAD.

TBH, any suggestions given here are just guesses and may not help at all. You need to do some legwork yourself. Glean some information from the suggestions given here and try to apply them to your situation.

I'm not really familiar with this. Do a search on "Info Center".

Have you verified that the computers exceed the minimum specs suggested for C3D?

You also should check out a C3D forum as most here are not familiar with it and it is a quite unique form of AutoCAD.

TBH, any suggestions given here are just guesses and may not help at all. You need to do some legwork yourself. Glean some information from the suggestions given here and try to apply them to your situation.

I turned off InfoCenter and CAD still lags.

Yes, verified. Exceeds minimum requirements by a small margin.

I opened the same drawing in basic AutoCAD 2016 and it is just as slow as C3D. I'm doing basic drafting and nothing I have done has been using C3D functions.

I've been doing a lot of research over the past couple weeks since I installed 2016 and I am at a loss. Hence, why I posted a thread. ;)

Also, there is a lag when I click anything to edit. Instead of double-click editing MTEXT, I used the command 'ED' to edit the text and there is NO lag time. I tried turning off the command line, which didn't help, nor closing the properties box and other windows.

I've got a feeling that's only a workaround.

Me too.

I'm working in a drawing right now and have the layer manager filter set to All and it's fine. However, I don't have any XREFS in the drawing.

Thanks for the help!

That tells us something. The issue lies in the XREF(s).

Do you need to keep them as is or can you modify them, clean-up, strip out unneeded stuff, in any way?