Could Greatly Use Some Help with Plotting Multiple Sheets At Once

MillerMG

Okay, so i feel very stupid for asking for help with this but to save my life I cannot figure this out. We have anywhere from 30-50 sheets for site plans. Opening each sheet and plotting them takes anywhere from 30 min. to an hour. This is taking up too much time when I should be drafting instead of hitting the open, plot, close buttons. Can someone please explain to me from start to finish of how to, I guess, set up sheet sets to plot the whole set of plans at once? I think a sheet set would be used. Not sure about that though. I would GREATLY appreciate any help. Thanks everyone.

Miller

When having to go back and produce plots of drawings, I too would recommend either PUBLISH, or a Script (.SCR) that uses PLOT/-PLOT... If you want something similar, but faster, then employ Core Console in parallel (aka multiple, simultaneous instances).

That said, to avoid ALL of this moving forward, simply use the Autopublish Mechanism (first released back in 2009), which produces PDF/DWF at either drawing SAVE* or CLOSE (user configurable)... This process is exponentially faster than either PLOT, or PUBLISH, and allows you to always have a current plan set, as your work is saved. Rather than performing a PUBLISH for specific sub-set to sendout, simply combine the PDFs already produced in kind, and print, email, etc.

Cheers

There is a selection in your publish options to pick either single sheets or one multi-sheet document.

Once that is set up, all you have to do is click the output tab on your ribbon, then click Batch Plot, (2015, right?) select the sheets you want to plot (by right-click removing the ones you don't need, like modelspace) and then clicking the publish button. The sheet list can be named and saved if you wish to do so.

Batch plot, by default will want to plot all currently open drawings for the same instance of AutoCad, so if you don't want to spend a lot of time removing sheets from your list, only have open the drawings you wish to plot now. Batch plot will plot all sheets in the current list to the same multi-page file, which can include more that one open dwg file, so if you don't want that you have to watch out for it.

Right on! Thank you very much! I look forward to putting this to good use! Running road profiles and corridors right now so don't have time to take a look at it.

• 1 month later...

You might also want to look into sheet sets. At the very least, they can be invaluable in plotting large numbers of drawings at the touch of a few buttons. At the most, you can open and plot drawings through the sheet set manager (SSM), and even edit certain title block information (if set up properly) in drawings without ever opening them. Have a look...

Thanks CADMAN I will have to look into that. Unfortunately I have site plans that need to go into the county soon and don't have the time right now. I will definitely take a look as soon as possible and report back. In the words of BlackBox...Cheers

No worries...I just finished up creating a sheet set template and some other goodies for my civil department. Feel free to tap my shoulder, needs be...cheers back to ya...