need help with civil map

JediCADgirl

Sorry, my last post was only to fix the "New Surface Style" you added.

Still need to do the stuff on my post before that one to put the _All Points Point Group in the Surfaces → Surface2 → Definition → Point Groups. Lots of things you can add to surface definitions as you can see. Nothing to display without something added to define the surface. Some jobs all I add are breaklines, but more often I'll need a custom Point Group (with only surface points), breaklines, and a boundary.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JediCADgirl

• tombu

• BIGAL

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, my last post was only to fix the "New Surface Style" you added.

Still need to do the stuff on my post before that one to put the _All Points Point Group in the Surfaces → Surface2 → Definition → Point Groups. Lots of things you can add to surface definitions as you can see. Nothing to display without something added to define the surface. Some jobs all I add are breaklines, but more often I'll need a custom Point Group (with only surface points), breaklines, and a boundary.

I see now. I thought I added the point groups, but I didn't do it correctly. I didn't go to Definition - Point Groups.

Success!! I got it !!! What a weird topo. Looks strange. Not like a regular topo. I'm trying to somehow not have the slopes be so exaggerated. But at least I got it. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Yea...it's a mountain range portion of some sort. Just talked to the person that I got the map from.

Edited by JediCADgirl

Being an independent contractor can have some advantages, but having to find the work and do if for different people who each have their own idea of what the want from you would break me as well. Not getting rich, but 3 years from retirement from a low stress government job has kept me stress free. I'd keep looking for a position working for someone else and let them have the stress. Licensed professionals risk a lot signing drawings so they're naturally more comfortable signing ones drawn by someone they supervise and work with on a daily basis. Permitting offices need plans examiners, lots of construction related jobs require the ability to read plans. Maybe a nice job out there for the skills you picked up getting to where you are now. I do Civil in Florida and could share a dwt, but every firm you work for uses their own templates and would probably prefer you use theirs instead. As I posted earlier had to add a custom Surface Style for your drawing anyway, we don't have mountains in Florida.

Good luck with whatever choices you make,

I worked for a company all my career, but they are a staffing company, so they contracted me out to a really big corp. I've been working for someone else but as a contractor where they placed me. It sucks, for lack of a better word. They only hire you for 6 months at a time, and they have a mountain of work waiting for you. My last jobby I got hired in a matter of days because the last cad drafter stormed out using some very colorful language. This last situation was super stressful for me. I did piping drafting. It gave me a chance to get really good at it, but I don't know if it was worth it. I was told I lasted the longest in that seat.

The engineers always sign and stamp.

I'd totally do CAD in a stress free environment. That's super nice that you have a gov position and low stress. That's key. I'm still hopeful something like that will come along.

Hey there gang..

I got the contours to show, however I'd like to print this map and be able to see where the elevations are rising and falling, with some sort of color scheme. Like the higher the elevation, the color get darker, and the lower lighter. It's awfully dense.

I'd also like to 'build' this surface. Make it solid or shaded, so I can 3d view it. Right now when i 3d view I see nothing ... or maybe some weird lines around. I'd like to be able to rotate around it and look at it, if that makes any sense. Right now the rotate function is not doing much.

I'm not getting paid for this or anything. I wanted to let you all know that, so I'm not making any money off of anyone on here. :P

Anywhoo... how can i make the contours less dense. So when I see from top view, I can tell what's going on.

Thanks for everything so far... I really am appreciative for all the help.

View 3D we normally just view the TIN model ie set up a style that has the triangles displayed, you can also use a rainbow style that changes colour with height.

Here is a sample to start with but its metric. blank.dwg

Hey there gang..

I got the contours to show, however I'd like to print this map and be able to see where the elevations are rising and falling, with some sort of color scheme. Like the higher the elevation, the color get darker, and the lower lighter. It's awfully dense.

Check out your Elevation and Slope Banding Surface styles.

I'd also like to 'build' this surface. Make it solid or shaded, so I can 3d view it.
Like BIGAL said you can view the TIN. Edit your Surface Style and on the Display tab make the Triangles Visible.

Anywhoo... how can i make the contours less dense.
If "Contours 50' and 250' (Background)" was still to dense try "Contours 200' and 1000' (Background)" they're basically as dense as settings tell them to be. Not a normal Surface Style, but your's isn't a normal drawing either.