iParts

Jake8090

Could anyone give a little information please.

I am trying to learn how to produce an iPart,however on completion of the part and its variations when I try to save I get an error message telling me that excel is required to perform the operation. I am using Inventor Student 2014 with windows 7. Do I need to purchase and install excel in order to use ilogik and iparts . Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Jake8090

Yes you do, it is listed on the system requirements for Autodesk Inventor if you want to use iParts. You may want to look into iLogic instead if you cannot get Excel installed.

Obviously did not study system requirements enough.

Many thanks Mark.

Can you point me in the right direction for some instruction on illogic

Jake8090 (Brian)

First it may be beneficial to tell us what you are trying to do with iParts to see the viability of using iLogic for it. They are used for similar purposes but conditions do apply based on the design criteria.

As a simple start I am trying to model a decking board of various length, Width, thickness. I intend to use the models for different projects. As some thing very simple to start the learning curve. I realise there are other ways this can be done but thought it would be a good way to get started.

Thank you

Brian

I might consider using a start part for the time being since iLogic isn't the best thing for a novice to learn and since you do not have Excel installed to use iParts.

Create a board with known length, width, and thickness and save it as a template. Whenever you need a new board simply start the board template and adjust your parameters and save it as a new file.

Thank you Mark. This is the way I would usually do this. Taking steps to obtain a copy of Excel so as to take my learning a stage further. System requirements say Excel from 2003 onwards.