F2 dialogue box (Autocad text window)

bleeargh

My text window on autocad 2016 keeps going behind the autocad display. I need to minimize autocad to see my text window results. For example, the result after a "list" command. What is the toggle to get the window to show up in front like it's suppose to?

Yes. But I've never had to do that before. The autocad default is to have the autocad text window open up in front, not behind the work space. I can't find the simple command toggle that will make the text window behave the way it's default is.

Are you using more than one monitor?

Either something is activating the AutoCAD screen and bringing it to the front or I would venture it is an AutoCAD/Windows bug.

Have you checked task manager to see what processes are running?

F2 a couple more times should bring it to the front again.

I have various/random issues with the text screen all the time, and have since probably R2013.

Sometimes F2 will open the text window and it will immediately disappear, so I just can't get to it at all, while other times is will display as designed.

Sometimes when it does display correctly, I can't get rid if it by clicking the "X". I just have to click in the AutoCAD editor area to make the editor "come to the top" (so the Text Windows stays in the Windows task bar as an open window).

I'm running 3 monitors on a Quadro K2000 with nView disabled.

Was previously running 2 monitors with same issues.

• 1 month later...

if my understanding is correct, typing a COMMANDLINEHIDE means the text window will close and typing again COMMANDLINE will open the text window.

if my understanding is correct, typing a COMMANDLINEHIDE means the text window will close and typing again COMMANDLINE will open the text window.

The command line and the text window are two distinctly different entities. CTRL+9 is used to hide/unhide the command line while F2 opens/closes the text window.

For those not already aware, in newer versions OOTB, F2 merely expands the 'enhanced' Command Line, whereas Ctrl+F2 opens the 'classic' Text Window.

The latter can be made default by editing the Shortcut Key assigned within CUI Editor... Under ACAD CUIx (Partial, for Verticals), Keyboard Shortcuts, Shortcut Keys, Text Window (the list is not alphabetical), change "Access" Property from "CTRL+F2" to just "F2."

Cheers

For those not already aware, in newer versions OOTB, F2 merely expands the 'enhanced' Command Line, whereas Ctrl+F2 opens the 'classic' Text Window.

The latter can be made default by editing the Shortcut Key assigned within CUI Editor... Under ACAD CUIx (Partial, for Verticals), Keyboard Shortcuts, Shortcut Keys, Text Window (the list is not alphabetical), change "Access" Property from "CTRL+F2" to just "F2."

Cheers

In AutoCad 2015, F2 expands the command line only if the command line is not docked. If the command line is docked, F2 opens the traditional text window without any retro-customization.

In AutoCad 2015, F2 expands the command line only if the command line is not docked. If the command line is docked, F2 opens the traditional text window without any retro-customization.

Perhaps it's functioned that way since being introduced - I haven't docked the command line since learning how to undock it. :rofl:

• 3 months later...

I should have responded to you guys and let you know what fixed this. I just had it happen again and I had to go back to this post to remind myself of the fix. It was rkent that suggested the textscr command at the command line that always brings it back to the front. Why it gets sent to the back is still a mystery. F2 does not bring it to the front. It kind of gets stuck behind the Autocad main display and nothing brings it to the front except the textscr command. After applying the command, the F2 function works and everything goes back to normal. Thanks rkent!

That's funny. I just installed 2016 LT today at work, and now the F2 thing is happening to me again, right out of the box (er, download) even with the command line docked and locked. I've only had it in for about an hour, no time to mess around yet. I still have to run the service packs. I hear there is a SP2 for 2016 LT already, can't look until morning.

I am also moving my direct supervisor from 2006 LT to 2016 LT. This should be fun. He's been THE drafting department here for 19 years and I have not been here for a month yet.

• 4 years later...
On 7/21/2015 at 11:13 PM, bleeargh said:

My text window on autocad 2016 keeps going behind the autocad display. I need to minimize autocad to see my text window results. For example, the result after a "list" command. What is the toggle to get the window to show up in front like it's suppose to?

Just go to the windows task bar, right click and open Task manager, there you can see “Autocad text window” right click on that and click “bring to front” and done. Every time you press F2 or ctrl F2 the window will pop infront.