dynamic blocks

squareknees

I am trying to create a dynamic block that arrays a turn of a screw to make the screw longer.

I have created the screw that I want, I used the array command that will add another turn when it gets long enough.

What I need to know is how do you get it to snap to the array length?

if the distance between twist lines on the screw is 1/32" how do I get it to jump to the next 1/32" instead of having the spacing not be equal?

Thanks

Untitled.png

Could you post a copy of the block, it's unclear as to whether you have managed to get the array action in the block or just used it in the drawing?

Sorry about that I didn't realize that I wasn't clear.

I do have the array command working, the issue is about the spacing. As you can see from the image if I am between array points it leaves a gap and what I want is to have it 'snap' to the next full "twist".

Hope that makes what I am looking for clearer.

Thanks again

self tap.dwg

Untitled1.png

You need an Incremented Value Set applied to a linear parameter and stretch action. The stretch is applied to include the already functioning array at the array grip end and the leading pointy part of the screw in the block editor. Of course, apply the stretch to the array with the minimum number of elements showing.

After selecting the linear parameter from the Authoring palette, and before clicking the first point for your distance, hit the down arrow so you get the set of selections in the first image. Then either click on VALUE SET or move the dot to it and hit enter.

Then you will see the second image. There, select INCREMENTAL.

For the Third image, follow the prompts to enter your increment value, which will be 1/32", and then your minimum distance which can be no less than your increment value of 1/32", and then your maximum distance, which will probably be as long as the longest screw you are likely to need. Don't break the max distance into fractions smaller than your incremental value, like 29 3/64" or something.

You will see increment lines show up in the block editor. They only show in modelspace or anywhere else while the block is being manipulated.

step one.png

step two.png

step three.png