templates and blocks

I worked up my titleblock awhile back and have tweaked it over time. My latest edit was to insert my blocks and save it so I could just directly insert the blocks without having to use the tool pallet, I don't like using screen space for stuff like pallets plus I find I have to edit my blocks because I will find something wrong or the look needs to be refined. I keep a master file of my blocks but I haven't updated it with all the changes I have made. So can I export all my blocks from my template to my master file so all the blocks update or do I need to open a new file with my template and save it as my new master file? Also I need to include a bunch of new blocks that I have made into my template. Can I import those blocks to my template without having to insert them one at a time like I did last time?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• Ski_Me

• tombu

• hlammerts

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Answer to last question is to use a script with all the block names this will wizz through a serious number in seconds compared to open 1 at a time, only drawback is it will ask for attributes if they exist in block.

-insert C:\\....yourblockname1 "0,0" 1 1 0 erase last

-insert C:\\....yourblockname2 "0,0" 1 1 0 erase last

-insert C:\\....yourblockname3 "0,0" 1 1 0 A B C D erase last

Just leave all those blocks in your master file and add a macro like ^C^C^Padcnavigate C:\\....Master.dwg

It will open Master.dwg in Design Center. All your blocks available in any drawing anytime without needing huge template files.

I used old fashioned slide method and menus. Obviously the tool palette took over but pretty picks. If you can use Notepad you can make a menu.

Kerbs.jpg

Keeping all your blocks in one file may seem like a good idea now but there will come a point when it starts to make less sense. Your template will become overloaded and maintaining your library will become a pain and you will want more organization. I would suggest you start building an organized library system for storing your blocks. I'm in the process of making an entire library for the team I recently joined. I have to create that library twice. Once for AutoCAD and once for Revit. At the onset, I was working pretty much in one file for each platform. They were great for pulling stuff together from various places. Plus, it helped me to learn some new standards, establish some of my own, and maintain consistency, but I knew at some point I would have to start saving stuff out to separate files. Well I started to do that a bit at a time on an as needed basis. That didn't work out so well because I sort of lost track of what was where. I finally broke down and created a folder system for those libraries and saved everything out all at once. In hindsight, I should have done that a lot sooner. Because of all the stuff that I was moving around, I came close to losing some. Mostly because I had almost duplicate folder structures and file names. That master file no longer exists. Order has been restored and all is good.

Your method is fine for smaller block collections. There is a risk, though. Keeping them all in the same file or two makes losing your entire library all at once a possibility. A small risk, but something to be aware of. Make sure to keep back-ups.

I used old fashioned slide method and menus. Obviously the tool palette took over but pretty picks. If you can use Notepad you can make a menu.

I created a few Image Tile menus years ago, gave an online course back in 2003. The macros import and place blocks how you want even , no need to have them all in each template since the images were in a library file. Tool Palettes are easier to learn to create, but not necessarily an improvement. Wish I'd kept some of those old menus sometimes.

One more option would be to use Lee Mac's Steal lisp http://www.lee-mac.com/steal.html

This macro for example will import this list of blocks "Block1 Block2" from C:\\My Folder\\Master.dwg:

^C^C^P(or Steal (load "StealV1-8.lsp"))(Steal "C:\\My Folder\\Master.dwg" '(("Blocks"("Block1" "Block2")))) 

I worked with a menu/slide/macro/LISP system for many years. It was great! The problem was that our CAD managers could not figure out how to upgrade it, they were dropping like flies. We were stuck on AutoCAD 2002 for 10 years. We finally made the break when operating systems and hardware were preventing us from continuing to use it.

I worked with a menu/slide/macro/LISP system for many years. It was great! The problem was that our CAD managers could not figure out how to upgrade it, they were dropping like flies. We were stuck on AutoCAD 2002 for 10 years. We finally made the break when operating systems and hardware were preventing us from continuing to use it.

As you can see they still work on his 2013 version and I doubt the functionality will ever go away, just the people who remember how to keep up with it when upgrading.

Keeping all your blocks in one file may seem like a good idea now but there will come a point when it starts to make less sense. Your template will become overloaded and maintaining your library will become a pain and you will want more organization. I would suggest you start building an organized library system for storing your blocks. Keeping them all in the same file or two makes losing your entire library all at once a possibility. A small risk, but something to be aware of. Make sure to keep back-ups.

Good point, I actually use a combination of all the above. I've always kept a folder on the network for Blocks with subfolders for Scales, North arrows, etc… as well as template files for snatching layouts, styles, and blocks. We have plug-in software from Florida DOT that came with MUTCD.dwg with blocks for all standard road signs in it. It also came with every kind of structure in 3D. No possible way to put all the blocks we have in one drawing.

I knew it could be upgraded. The powers that be opted for some messy pallet system that we are now phasing out. We are going to start using a modified version of the Detail Component Manager.

Rob, funny to read there are arguments to keep them apart to use in rev'it. Does one seriously consider dwg use in revit for detailing? What is the gerenal thought because hear very different opinions and have not made up my mind myself. Lot of wasting time if you export it to dwg anyway?

Rob, funny to read there are arguments to keep them apart to use in rev'it. Does one seriously consider dwg use in revit for detailing? What is the gerenal thought because hear very different opinions and have not made up my mind myself. Lot of wasting time if you export it to dwg anyway?

As a rule, we do not use dwgs in Revit. The two libraries are separate entities. The 2D symbol blocks that I am making are so simple that it's actually slower to go through a proper conversion process than it is to draw them twice. I've already spent countless hours converting another departments standard details to native Revit objects. Dwgs were linked in for that process and I was basically tracing over them. It couldn't be automated because that library had been created and maintained by a variety of people over many years. The standards were too all over the place for any conversion to work.

Ok. I get the picture. So you draw them over 2d, use Revit and forget about it.

Does not sound very bimtech to me but, hell, if that work for you ..

Be careful about making assumptions. What I'm describing is only a small but necessary part of switching over to a Revit only environment. My Revit usage goes way beyond this.

What part of my reaction is the assumption part rob?

I am sure you have good 3d and or bim skills

I use autocad with a white background ;-)

I'm sorry. Maybe I over reacted to this.

Does not sound very bimtech to me but, hell, if that work for you ..

But this definitely is.

I am sure you have good 3d and or bim skills

It's clear I need to rethink my strategy about how I handle and manage my library. Do you have a sample or a flow of your file structure you could show me? I don't want to copy what you have because your work method and my are most likely completely different, just need to get an idea to start from.

Keeping all your blocks in one file may seem like a good idea now but there will come a point when it starts to make less sense. Your template will become overloaded and maintaining your library will become a pain and you will want more organization. I would suggest you start building an organized library system for storing your blocks. I'm in the process of making an entire library for the team I recently joined. I have to create that library twice. Once for AutoCAD and once for Revit. At the onset, I was working pretty much in one file for each platform. They were great for pulling stuff together from various places. Plus, it helped me to learn some new standards, establish some of my own, and maintain consistency, but I knew at some point I would have to start saving stuff out to separate files. Well I started to do that a bit at a time on an as needed basis. That didn't work out so well because I sort of lost track of what was where. I finally broke down and created a folder system for those libraries and saved everything out all at once. In hindsight, I should have done that a lot sooner. Because of all the stuff that I was moving around, I came close to losing some. Mostly because I had almost duplicate folder structures and file names. That master file no longer exists. Order has been restored and all is good.

Your method is fine for smaller block collections. There is a risk, though. Keeping them all in the same file or two makes losing your entire library all at once a possibility. A small risk, but something to be aware of. Make sure to keep back-ups.