Road Re-profiling from Survey Data - Help Needed

Rossco

Hello everyone,

First time poster here, looking for some help with my first foray into the world of Civil 3D (and 3D software for that matter). Currently I use AutoCAD 2014 for relatively simple work on existing map tile blocks and drawing up cross and long sections (I also have access to 3DS Max Design 2014 and AutoCAD Map 3D 2014, both of which I have never used either!)

I have a carriageway resurfacing scheme on a crossroads junction that requires the road to be re-profiled to remove a large dip towards the centre which creates ponding and poor driveability. I’ve undertaken a survey of the site, collecting points for the kerb lines, centre and channel lines of the road, as well as some road pins nailed in for setting out later (see attached picture – a .dxf file can be provided if necessary). With this info, I need to adjust the road points to the desired levels then adjust the kerb points to fit (I can then relate this back to the road pins when setting out on site later).

So, what processes do I have to go through to get these results? Ideally I would like to know how to:

Create a surface/contour plan for the survey data to be based on

Look at cross/long sections if possible

Pick any survey point and adjust it to a desired level

Manipulate/pan the drawing around in 3D to view from all angles

Any help would be greatly appreciated, here’s hoping it won’t be too steep a learning curve!

Cheers,

Ross

BR Survey.jpg