Autocad 2008 how to edit toolbar button's properites?

Hello.

I'm testing out Autocad 2008 as a possible option for upgrading from Acad 2002. One thing I can't seem to figure out is how to customize existing buttons on toolbars.

I open customization window via right click on a button -> customize and it shows me list of ALL commands, from there clicking on a desired button on the toolbar doesn't open it's properties in the customization window as it used to do in acad 2000/2002.

Do I have to manually search for desired command in that long list???

Thank you.

Why not go to 2016?

+1

Install 14 year old software? Why go from how they did it a very long time ago to how they did it a long time ago? Gonna be a learning curve either way, but a hundred times as much support out there for the current version. It'll run a lot better on current 64-bit hardware and operating systems as well.

MONEY

From these two responses I can only assume that you either have bottomless pockets, or using pirated software.

Not everyone can afford keep up with "current" software/hardware. We are not talking about $50 purchases, it's thousands and thousands of dollars. As long as the old software works well, no reason for an upgrade. The only reason I'm trying out Acad2008 is because some plugins that I'd like to have would not work in 2002 and I can get it for really cheap.

Now, that we cleared this out, can we PLEASE get back on topic?

Thanks.

Edited by vanowm

ACAD 2008 was a long time ago and I honestly don't remember how customization worked back then. I tried searching for some tutorials but most that I found were either dead links or not very helpful. You may want to look on Amazon and see if you can find a good book. Customization is not the only thing that's going to be different, coming from 2002.

The books by George Omura are very good: http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-AutoCAD-2008-LT/dp/047013738X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1437864683&sr=1-1&keywords=george+omura+autocad+2008

I can get it for really cheap
The only way is if you buy the company you can not buy some ones old version just because they dont use it any more this is against the license agreement held by Autodesk. Or the only way to get some one elses copy is if they agree to relinquish all rights to it. So if they have upgraded the copy you can not buy it ! Its that simple. Look at some of the alternative clones they are right up to date and yes they do cost a few hundreds not thousands but they can run lisp etc.

The only reason I'm trying out Acad2008 is because some plugins that I'd like to have would not work in 2002 and I can get it for really cheap.

I see you have come back and edited your post. Where exactly are you getting this software "really cheap"?

MONEY

From these two responses I can only assume that you either have bottomless pockets, or using pirated software.

Umm, you are missing something huge with this assumption. I personally never owned AutoCAD and have made a living on many different versions, legally. I'm sure that many people here, and quite possibly a vast majority, can say the same thing.

If you think you are purchasing this legitimately, you should look into that some more.

How are you making your evaluation, if you haven't purchased it, yet?

It may seem legal, but AutoDesk may say otherwise. Some of the people here are fairly familiar with the EULA, if you have any questions about before you make your purchase. Plus, getting support for such an old version is going to be spotty as most do not have access to it.

Have you looked into the new desktop subscription options?

Edited by RobDraw

Hello.

I'm testing out Autocad 2008 as a possible option for upgrading from Acad 2002. One thing I can't seem to figure out is how to customize existing buttons on toolbars.

I open customization window via right click on a button -> customize and it shows me list of ALL commands, from there clicking on a desired button on the toolbar doesn't open it's properties in the customization window as it used to do in acad 2000/2002.

Do I have to manually search for desired command in that long list???

Thank you.

You opened the QUICKCUI which I haven't found much use for. Enter CUI at the command line to bring up the full version. In the upper left panel click the + to expand Toolbars then the + for the toolbar your button is on. Click the toolbar button and it's properties will display on the right which is what you're looking to modify.

There is no way to buy a 2008 version from an authorized AutoCAD retailer. In case you were unaware you are clearly testing "pirated software" as even if it was legally licensed to someone at some time that license is not transferable. Autodesk has a history of going after companies that use pirated software so posting online that you're "testing out Autocad 2008" might lead to someone knocking on your door with a subpoena. They do follow all the major forums related to their software.