Lineweigh display on layout

I can't set lineweight on paper space to show thickness properly. All objects except fonts have same lineweight on layout (0.20 mm). I have few layers with default lineweights and one with 0.20 mm. How to see and print object sets by layers? Thanks.

No, it is enabled. I am try to increase lineweight only for that 0.2 mm layer and seams evertything ok. Lines increase weight as well. I think that "default" weight has some thickness which confuse lines in paperspace.

I doubt that very much as I just tested it.

If there are lines in paper space that need to have their lineweight adjusted independent of model space lines then put them on their own layer.

I assume this is a metric drawing? Did you use a metric drawing template?

No. In the same drawing I want to transfer objects from layout to model. Cut and paste but fit on the same place. For example. House walls drew in model, doors drew in paper space. Want to move doors to model in place as in layout.

You're doing it wrong. All geometry belongs in model space. Your title block and border (plus title block text) belongs in your paper space layout. Text and dimensions can go in either.

Putting walls in model space and doors in paper space is just plain wrong in my opinion. Were you also going to put windows in paper space?

You suggest me that I have to draw everything in model space except border, title block/text. What if I have objects which are not fixed in drawings and I wish to move. Is not easier to draw them in paper space layout?

What do you mean "not fixed"? Nothing is truly fixed. Text, dimensions and geometry can all be moved unless the layer they are on is locked.

Draw ALL geometry in model space at FULL size. It does not matter if it is as small as a paper clip or as big as the international space shuttle. FULL size! That is damn near a cardinal rule in AutoCAD. You aren't using version 1.2; you're using AutoCAD 2012.

For your information....there is something called the Change Space (CHSPACE) command.

On a layout, transfers selected objects between model space and paper space.

Right. I drew some "fixed" object in model space as walls, doors windows etc. Put those in the block. On layout I drew tables, chairs etc. Everything are in correct dimension. So, for me it is easier moving tables..etc in few paper space than duplicate base drawings (walls,doors..etc) in model space and draw tables, chairs..etc as well.

Why would you have duplicate objects in both model and paper space?

Furniture should go on its own layer and should be drawn in model space NOT in your layout. You do know that layers can be locked so objects on those layers are unaffected by the commands being used to edit objects on non-locked layers don't you?

It sounds as though you either need some basic AutoCAD training or at the very least a visit to the CADTutor tutorial portion of this website to familiarize yourself with basic commands and concepts. Stop what you are doing and get some instruction before proceeding further otherwise you are just wasting your time and expending unnecessary effort by doing things incorrectly.

Edited by ReMark

To get back to your original question...

Long answer: Line weights are NOT displayed the same in paperspace as they are in modelspace.

Lineweight display can be toggled on and off by either changing the value of LWDISPLAY, or by the icon on the drawing window taskbar. You won't see any lineweight differential in either modelspace or paperspace with LWDISPLAY toggled OFF.

Lineweights in modelspace are displayed in pixels, rather than in plotted units.

In modelspace, the lineweight display is merely a relationship showing which lines are heavier than others. The lines are not displayed at their real weight. In fact each line weight is always displayed at a constant weight no matter what your zoom level. The intensity of the overall weight display is adjustable with a slide button on your Options >> Display tab. Lineweight display in modelspace is merely a cute feature allowing one to remind oneself which lines are fat and which lines are not.

Lineweights in Paperspace are displayed in plotted units, as long as your zoom level allows the line to be displayed as large as, or larger than a screen display pixel. Once your zoom level is out far enough, lines cannot shrink narrower than the physical width of one screen display pixel. Therefore, in paperspace any line zoomed to the point where its lineweight is as narrow or narrower than one pixel, will be displayed one pixel wide. Thus it is possible for you to see many lines that appear to be the same very thin weight, but in reality they will be plotted the specified width.

The only way to display lineweights in paperspace at their actual weight is for your screen to be big enough to display your layout at Full Size and to scale on screen, and hopefully your screen has a resolution high enough to display the thinnest lines accurately. Remember, on screen in either paperspace or modelspace, your lines will always be at least one pixel wide.

Short answer: toggle LWDISPLAY OFF and control lineweight and color by layer designation. Worry about what comes out on paper instead.

Right. I drew some "fixed" object in model space as walls, doors windows etc. Put those in the block. On layout I drew tables, chairs etc. Everything are in correct dimension. So, for me it is easier moving tables..etc in few paper space than duplicate base drawings (walls,doors..etc) in model space and draw tables, chairs..etc as well.

Why would you have duplicate objects in both model and paper space?

Furniture should go on its own layer and should be drawn in model space NOT in your layout. You do know that layers can be locked so objects on those layers are unaffected by the commands being used to edit objects on non-locked layers don't you?

It sounds as though you either need some basic AutoCAD training or at the very least a visit to the CADTutor tutorial portion of this website to familiarize yourself with basic commands and concepts. Stop what you are doing and get some instruction before proceeding further otherwise you are just wasting your time and expending unnecessary effort by doing things incorrectly.

Layers can also be frozen in individual viewports in paperspace. This allows you, for instance, to draw everything in modelspace, ONE TIME EACH, and only see the furniture in the viewports where their layer is not frozen.

I can't set lineweight on paper space to show thickness properly. All objects except fonts have same lineweight on layout (0.20 mm). I have few layers with default lineweights and one with 0.20 mm. How to see and print object sets by layers? Thanks.

With a test plot if a layout do lines with the same color and lineweight plot differently in a model space viewport -vs- paper space? Is the plot style assigned to Model tab same as the Layout tab? While it only affects display I keep the scale of the model tab the same as the model space viewport of the layout tab I'm working on.

Out of the box default lineweight is 0.25mm, but I keep mine set at 0.15.