Any Material applied to clylinder is distorted..

Murphy625

I folks, this is my first post.

Drawing a clinder 84" diameter and 6ft tall, I have applied a material and I can't get it to show up without distortion.

I've tried using the materials from the library, and I've tried using my own JPG files of the same or similar image.

In all cases, the cylinder has really good spots, but seems to be distorted every 90 degrees around the circumference of the cylinder.

I'm only concerned about the outside surface.

Look at the image I've attached. You can see the area around the legs is good, (round-ish bumps) but the area between legs is stretched and distorted.

This happens no matter what material I attempt to use.

I have attempted to adjust the "Sample size" height and width in small increments but no success.

What am I doing wrong?

attachment.php?attachmentid=55075&cid=1&stc=1

HELP1.jpg

Dimpled jacket is exactly what I need. Looks like I'm close if you recognize it!! LOL...

I am somewhat familiar with material mapping. Its still new to me however. I have spent some time screwing around with the settings to see the effect but I was unsuccessful.

I have to say it appears to my novice mapping eye, that it is mapped correctly because rotating the mapping direction didn't seem to help any.. just made it much worse and distorted the entire thing.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Oh ya.. when I select "Cylinder" in the mapping, the dimples just become horizontal bands around the cylinder.. total distortion.

One other thing.. What is interesting is that when I am in the materials editor, the sample image of a cylinder looks nearly perfect...

I think there are only two ways to adjust cylindrical mapping (rotation and height). Can't say I've done it either since we don't bother mapping materials to 3D models. If it were me I'd probably create a dimpled jacket as part of the 3D model.

attachment.php?attachmentid=55076&cid=1&stc=1I think I got it! I started dragging the mapping arrows around and I got those distorted bands down to a very small and acceptable amount. It doesn't need to be absolutely perfect.. though it would be nice to figure out how to completely eliminate them.

HELP2.jpg

Why the gussets on the pipe legs? And why pipe legs and not a structural member (ex. - W shape)?

Its a 2000 gallon food grade tank. Round pipe is easier to clean with fewer hard to reach areas.

Fabricator normally stocks sheet gauges and 1/4 and 3/8 plate.. I could have made the stanchion plates a thicker material like 3/4 but they don't stock that thick of a plate.. So, I made them 3/8 thick with 1/4 gussets.

I noticed under your username the title "Quantum Mechanic"... Is that just a name/title or do you hold an interest in quantum mechanics? I've spent many hours contemplating how to modify the double slit to show that its either or, and not both particle and wave. Einstein wasn't comfortable accepting the whole probability thing and in my (very) limited knowledge, I tend to think he's right (again).. Lots of things in science have tricked us up masquerading as illusions or just simply bad technique.

Then again, there's the whole entanglement thing to wind us up.....

The moniker was assigned to me by the powers-to-be here at CADTutor and in no way reflects the true nature of my occupation or industry I work in. I happen to work for a small specialty chemical manufacturing company as a CAD operator.