Settings issue?

Hello,

Please see below my attempts to follow one of my school modules in AutoCAD 2015 for Mac.

The clearly visible rectangle, triangle, parallelogram and quadrangle are drawn freehand using the Line tool. I have no difficulty with this. The top arrow furthest to the left is pointing to the result of me drawing a 1m x 2m rectangle using the line command function. The top arrow to the right of that is the result when I draw a rectangle 20m x 40m using the line command function. The arrow pointing to what looks like a group of three dots are the results of drawing the rectangles measuring 1.750 x 1.250, 2.500 x 1.000 and 0.650 x 1.500 as instructed in an assignment I am working on.

The next arrow is pointing to the circle with radius 0.500 as instructed. It is effectively invisible. The three adjacent circles to the right are drawn using the circle command with diameters of 50, 100 and 200 respectively.

As you can see, I am able to utilise the command function correctly, it is the scale which seems to be off. I can only get visible shapes when I use dimensions that are 100x what my module materials are suggesting. I have set my Units, Limits, Griddisplay, Grid and Snap as advised.

Can anyone help? :shock:

Drawing1.pdf

Just curious, did you use a metric drawing template? The default is set to use imperial units (decimal inches). A metric drawing template uses millimeters as its default.

Did you use a metric drawing template file when you started your drawing (ex. - acadiso.dwt) or did you use the default acad.dwt which is imperial?

Are you drawing in Meters or millimeters?

Did you use -DWGUNITS to set the drawing up?

0.500 Radius = 1.00 Diameter which would be 50 times smaller than a 50 Diameter.

A circle at 200 and another at .5, no matter what units you are using, will display the same way. To see the .5 you have to zoom in, this is not out of the ordinary.

Just saw all your messages! Hectic day.

ReMark: I used the acadiso.dwt template and all the units to the correct metric settings.

Rkent: I thought it was a matter of zooming, but I'm not so sure!

Erase all doubt by attaching a copy of the actual DWG file to your next post. Someone here will take a look at it.

How much experience do you have using AutoCAD?

To confuse a bit more one of the guys here drew everything in metres which is ok till we have 0.010 for the diameter of a structural connection, this was easy fixed though by a 2nd Dim style that had a multiply factor of 1000 so 10mm hole. Sounds like the same thing stuff as a mixture of mm and M.

Erase all doubt by attaching a copy of the actual DWG file to your next post. Someone here will take a look at it.

How much experience do you have using AutoCAD?

Not too much, i'm taking this course to brush up on my 'skills'.

I have attached the CAD drawing below.

Chapter 5.dwg

This does not appear to be the drawing referenced in your first post. There are some minor issues but nothing points to any major problems. You might want to brush up on your zooming and panning techniques.