Large .dwg - Hidden objects/ data

Cad_user_2014

Hi,

I am new to this forum, so apologies if this is a repeat thread, although I haven't seen specific info on this particular subject.

I have a basic site .dwg, coming to 29mb (using R2014) that should be 3-5mb at most. I have tried cleaning it up and reverse engineering it to see what the problem is however when I get it all back to zero, there are still hundreds of textstyles/ linetypes and blocks (A5674 etc.) that cannot be purged. There is nothing visible in the paper/ model, however text styles cannot be removed in manager as they are 'apparently' in use.

Wblock re-produces the same content, -pu/ audit/ purge all no use, with no visible content the drawing it still contains 25mb of blocks/ materials/ fonts etc that cannot be removed. Copy/ paste into fresh drawing returns no content/ blank drawing, select all finds one block - however a warning message says the drawing contains one object - x-ref??? there is nothing there.

When using Qselect to eliminate objects by type it hangs on the text, the rest of the time it is workable just sluggish.

The only clue I have had is when copying the command prompt writes 'sketchbook data can only be saved in .dwg format', I have no idea the originator of the drawing software, all the content I want is in autocad vector format, I can move/ add / append etc, but cannot take extract what I want without bringing the 25mb junk.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

Have you tried the -PURGE > R for regapps first?

In 2016 the Purge command was upgraded to help deal with Orphaned data, it also kills DGN (is that right?) linetypes.

I don't know anything about Sketchup, so not sure if any of that info will help you or not. :|

Hi, thanks for the response.

Yes I've tried -pu/r, I have done all the -pu options individually, and selected -pu/all also to double check it has run all options. I also have a lisp which runs a purge/ audit/ -pu whihc takes about 2-3 minutes to run so whenever its time to grab a coffee I set it off periodically.

I've also flattened the drawing, and brought everything to 0,0 to avoid any coordinate issue. exploded everything to remove all blocks, trim it of heavy hatch etc but when I view items I cannot purge this is what I get...

BLOCKS-CAPTURE.jpg

What is frustrating is the only content I want is 2d autoCAD blocks and vector objects/ polylines, as I mentioned the only clue is this message after I copy to paste in another drawing.

WARNING-CAPTURE.JPG

I have never heard of 'SKETCHBOOK DESIGNER' and would also have assumed -pu/r would eliminate this sort of stuff.....

Refuse to throw the towel in on this one.........

EDIT. 2014 has no purge DGN/ orphaned option, trying the Autodesk DGN hotfix now...

ran DGNPURGE and the drawings hangs.......

UPDATE.......DGNPURGE completed after 15 minutes, .dwg now 1.1mb - 30,000 LINETYPE SIGNATURES REMOVED!!!

DGNPURGE-CAPTURE.JPG

Score

Thanks, I will look into this also, however the DGNPURGE in the Autodesk hotfix eventually worked!

30,000 linetype signatures successfully removed!

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCAD-DWG-files-unexpectedly-increase-in-file-size.html

Those DGN linetypes can really be annoying, glad you got it sorted out. :)

I should think your file is a bit lighter on its feet, and your system, after that high colonic! :|