How to find out current zoom magnification value?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vernonlee

• ReMark

• BIGAL

• eldon

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean in a viewport?

No. In current view. Example when viewing in model space, what is the command to see current zoom view magnification

i'm not sure - this might help:

command ZOOM

option SCALE

eg. 1/200xp

Thanks but this command is to zoom to that scale.

What I wanted is to find out the current zoom scale. Hope this is much clearer now.

There is no mechanism to identify such a value. In order to do that, one would have to have the ability to display objects at exactly actual size on the screen. The AutoCad display window cannot be initialized to zero zoom distance (actual size), so there is no way to calculate zoom level from that point. This quantity is too dependent on hardware and operating system.

Now in 3D, there are definable viewpoints and camera positions, but that is a whole different animal.

Hi guys.

Because I work mainly the same project, the drawings in the model space are all in yhe the same location & UCS.

Because I do sometimes repetitive work, & I keep going to the same view location for many of the drawings, I make use of a macro script with a zoom command (using same corordinates & zoom magnification value)

I can find the coordinates easily with the calculator icon. But zoom magnification value I have to trial & error to find the sweet spot.

So instead of doing trail & error I was hoping for a command to give the "current view" value

Then why don't you just use saved views? Easy enough.

From the Knowledge Base.

You do not have to set up viewports and views from scratch every time you need them. Instead, you can save viewport arrangements by name and restore them when you need them. Saved settings include

• The number and position of viewports
  • The views that the viewports contain
  • The grid and snap settings for each viewport
  • The UCS icon display setting for each viewport

the 'viewsize' variable that rkmcswain mentioned is the value that the zoom command uses for magnification. In your zoom macro if you use the option 'centre' and give a coordinate value for the middle of your drawing area, followed by the option 'magnification' and use the 'viewsize' value that is given when you have a drawing setup as you want it (the 'viewctr' variable wiil give the centre point coordinates)

Relative to what?

The sysvar VIEWSIZE will return the height of the current view, in drawing units.

the 'viewsize' variable that rkmcswain mentioned is the value that the zoom command uses for magnification. In your zoom macro if you use the option 'centre' and give a coordinate value for the middle of your drawing area, followed by the option 'magnification' and use the 'viewsize' value that is given when you have a drawing setup as you want it (the 'viewctr' variable wiil give the centre point coordinates)

@steven-g - I do believe you have an idea what I am using for the macro script. The process sounds about right.

@rkmcswain- I will checkout 'viewsize' tomorrow.

Thanks bros :)

Then why don't you just use saved views? Easy enough.

From the Knowledge Base.

You do not have to set up viewports and views from scratch every time you need them. Instead, you can save viewport arrangements by name and restore them when you need them. Saved settings include

• The number and position of viewports
  • The views that the viewports contain
  • The grid and snap settings for each viewport
  • The UCS icon display setting for each viewport

I am not sure if that works.

Basically:-

a) Going to the same view location at the same "zoom view scale" for around 100+ existing drawings in MODELSPACE.

b) It is temporary only & best not to save any "views" to the drawings.

c) No importing of view settings (if any)

d) Simple & efficient. :

1) open dwg

2) press 1 button or icon - zoom straight to my desired view

(Basically I setup 1 macro script to go straight to modelspace + immediately zoom straight to desired view, hence i need only 2 steps)

Base on my concerns, can they still work?

Have you tried the Zoom command with the Centre option?

Yes. I incorporate it into a macro script. Hence i require the coordinates (this i can find easily) & the 'magnification' value.

Will you be zooming to the same location in all one hundred drawings? Will the magnification value always be the same as well?

Yes. I incorporate it into a macro script. Hence i require the coordinates (this i can find easily) & the 'magnification' value.

I was not clear as to whether you were using that option.

The Centre option either uses the magnification value or the height of the required screen (also found in VIEWSIZE).

When you get a screen that you like the look of, if you do a Zoom, Centre, then the command line shows the current screen height as the default. That should make you life easy. That is easier to find than the "magnification".

Will you be zooming to the same location in all one hundred drawings? Will the magnification value always be the same as well?

Yes. All same. Same coordinates & same mag value.

Basically 1 coordinates value & 1 mag value will give me the same zoomed view for all 100 drawings

Once applied the macro script, it always goes to the same zoomed view since the drawings is using the same ORIGIN point & same UCS

I was not clear as to whether you were using that option.

The Centre option either uses the magnification value or the height of the required screen (also found in VIEWSIZE).

When you get a screen that you like the look of, if you do a Zoom, Centre, then the command line shows the current screen height as the default. That should make you life easy. That is easier to find than the "magnification".

Oh. Ok.

I will test the zoom command to get the height. Thanks for the alternative solution bro. :)

Hi guys. I tested both "VIEWSIZE" & "Zoom, Centre," both gave me the same value.

This value is exactly what I wanted.

Thanks again.

A further option the 100+ do they have title blocks ? If so just enter title block description like sheet 24 you can locate the title block that matches lsp and then zoom a point and a scale.