Distorted Image Mapping?

Murphy625

Take a look at the image below.. Its a 2000 gallon stainless tank (Kettle) with a dimpled heating jacket.

The dimple jacket is just an image that I wrapped around.. Notice the vertical band of distortion?? I can't seem to make it go away.

It would appear there are two of these bands on opposite sides of the tank.

I've tried screwing with the mapping and the image sample size but it just gets worse.

Any ideas?attachment.php?attachmentid=55116&cid=1&stc=1

Help1.jpg

What if you did a quadrant of the tank and assuming it came out OK then use the array command to fill in the other three quadrants?

What if you did a quadrant of the tank and assuming it came out OK then use the array command to fill in the other three quadrants?

I just tried that and it worked for about 10 seconds until I changed views.. Then, the entire jacket disappeared from the drawing during the render... So I exploded the array and the material disappeared from the 3 new sections and only stayed on the original.. When I tried to apply the material to the three sections, the mapping was all screwy again on those three..

Is there a way to transfer ALL of the properties including the mapping?

So you have already tried adjusting the Cylindrical mapping? http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/getting-started/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/AutoCAD-Core/files/GUID-ADC70514-B2D8-4779-99D8-609641184208-htm.html

What does the original texture map look like? Is it tileable?

I tried cylindrical mapping and it looked very bad. I edited the original jpg file in photoshop so that it would be tileable with little or no adverse affects like those ugly boarder lines or colors that don't match.

I did end up with a work around.. I split the circumference in two parts, used planar mapping and then just moved them together without joining the solids.. Seems to have worked pretty good without any distortions..

Here's what I have so far...

attachment.php?attachmentid=55126&cid=1&stc=1

HELP3.jpg

Looking better for sure. A very nice image from AutoCAD 2012 imho.

Thanks!! I just started using the new 2012 version.. boy have they come a long way from my old R14... I love the new menu customizations, I'm saving hundreds of clicks by not having to use drop down menu's all the time..

The software seems kind of buggy though.. but maybe that's due to my antiquated computer..

The software seems kind of buggy though.. but maybe that's due to my antiquated computer..

Most likely that ;) Any chance you'll upgrade to current release?

Most likely that ;) Any chance you'll upgrade to current release?

Why would I upgrade? What am I missing in the latest version that I don't have now?

To have a 64-bit application on a 64-bit OS. To be able to use more than 4gb of ram, a speed increase and better 3D performance.

I think upgrading the computer is a must.. New motherboard, processor, new Windows 7 or 8 or whatever. No so sure about autocad..