autocad LT 2014 and Windows 10.....

bennyboy86

hi all,

so installed windows 10 this morning, everything was going fine until i tried to save a new drawing.......wont let me pick location other then what has opened up.....also if try and xref in a drawing cant even try and go to another folder....

so not sure if i should restore computer back to 07 or leave it.....burned 1.5hrs this moring installing it so dont want to waste more time but if cad isnt coming out with anything may not have a choice, as noticed no autocad are officially compatible with windows 10.

"...as noticed no autocad are officially compatible with windows 10."

And that is probably at the root of your problem which begs the question. If you knew this going in why did you do it? Are you a masochist or do you just love a good challenge?

Read this and pay close attention to the last line that starts with the words "Product Support will provide......." You'll have to contact them for assistance. Good luck.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Windows-10-support-for-Autodesk-products.html

BTW...I've read that users have one month to go back to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 after installing Windows 10. So make sure you make up your mind before the option disappears.

FYI, you also have a year to do the upgrade. Piece of advice for anyone reading this. Take advantage of the time given and let the masses shake out the bugs before installing on a work computer. This is actually a premature/not fully functional release with a service pack already scheduled for Sept/Oct.

benny:

On behalf of all of us who are running AutoCAD under a stable version of Windows I'd like to thank you for volunteering your time, efforts and frustration in testing AutoCAD with Windows 10. I've already learned a valuable lesson and that is don't always be the first in your neighborhood to adopt a new OS. Let someone else suffer through it first. Thanks mate for being the proverbial guinea pig. Truly appreciated.

My son has been running the tech preview of 10 for over 6 months, no issues at all. No CAD use on his PC though. I will be upgrading my home box very soon as I have a new hard drive that I will be using. We'll see how it goes.

I've had Windows 10 running since last Thursday with no problems/issues at all, although I dont have Autocad on this machine (yet).

The only real problems (as opposed to privacy setting niggles) I have see reported is with gamers running nvidia graphics cards, multi-screensetups, and sometimes having 2 nvidia cards onboard.

It seems that Windows 10 automatic upgrades installs a different driver for these cards that the latest driver available from nvidia itself.

Aparently its something to do with the driver version. The windows one is a valid nvidia driver but is a later version than the one on the nvidia upgrade site, this is causing problems with those who use the nvidia updater.

If you have a fancy graphics card installed for your cad work then maybe you could come across a similar problem.

However as this seems to be a pathname problem I would try turning off the OneDrive cloud storage which is enabled by default on Windows 10 and seems to want you to store everything there by default.

It was one of the first things I turned off, I don't want my personal stuff saving on someone elses servers.

It may be trying to make you save only back to the original location or the cloud.

PS. I noticed the other day that an Autocad 360 app is now available in the Windows App store.

Edit

As noted after installing Win 10 your old OS is still on your drive under 'Windows.old' and you have a month if you want to roll back.

Some testers have already tried this and say it works OK, but not great.

You did make a restore drive, note your product key, and make a data backup before installing Win 10 didn't you?

You can use these at anytime to reinstall your old OS and setup.

Another thing to note is that when you install Windows 10 you are given a new product key, if you have updated online rather than from a disc you will not see this, it is stored in the registry.

Use Keyfinder or similar to retrieve this and make a note for use with your Windows 10 recovery drive, you have made a Win10 recovery drive haven't you?

benny:

On behalf of all of us who are running AutoCAD under a stable version of Windows I'd like to thank you for volunteering your time, efforts and frustration in testing AutoCAD with Windows 10. I've already learned a valuable lesson and that is don't always be the first in your neighborhood to adopt a new OS. Let someone else suffer through it first. Thanks mate for being the proverbial guinea pig. Truly appreciated.

This is my thought process with all software updates, (as of Monday, I will be one of the guinea pigs, at work anyway).

As briefly mentioned in another recent thread, I use Win8.1's Client Hyper-V for the testing of myriad virtual machines, and am glad to see that it (Client Hyper-V) is also still available in Win10.

lol yep lucky was a bit slow yesterday so had time to play with it, but yeah just before closed up for the day, i went to restore back but nice little button they offered all you have to do is tell them why your going back to previous copy, happy to be back to 7 and all is well....... normally i dont have an issue when upgrading operating systems this is a first. im one of those loser who installs the latest ios for my iphone as soon as available but never had any problems....

so my advice is wait for autodesk to check and offer patch if required...

and yes i was the official tester for the office, and that one issue put grinding halt to others updating for now.