Adding text in one view only.

Langerhans

I've added some text with arrows and some just plain text. Problem is when I switch to a different view, the text and arrows are still there although in all the wrong places. It's prints that way too, which is a disaster.

How do I add text (and arrows) so that they only appear in one view (such as South Elevation) or Site or Level one?

Thanks

BIGAL, please be aware of the forum you are in. No layers in Revit.

Langherhans, you need to set-up annotation views for putting on your sheets. Those are the views where you will place all the annotation for a particular sheet.

This is basic stuff. Are you getting training or learning on your own?

I have three books on Revit, looked at every tutorial,Help in Revit, read everything regarding the topic at Autodesk -- nowhere is what you say mentioned. How basic is that? I'm not an idiot, I have an MArch from MIT -- it shouldn't be that difficult to find this information. However I'll try what you suggest (and thanks for that, despite the vaguely insulting tone, but I've come to expect that in help forums). Now I just need to find out how to create an independent layer, which I'm pretty sure I can figure out as I've created layers before.

Actually, I've already figured out an alternate method anyway. Thanks.

That tone you are talking about is not coming from me. You put it into my text.

So, you are self taught. That is why you have not learned it, yet.

I'm assuming that you are going to need sheets. You will also need views for those sheets. Guess where the annotations go.

Did you learn about layers in Revit from those same books?

You can use your alternate method of you like, but I think you will find that having annotation views for inserting onto your sheets is the way to go.

I've added some text with arrows and some just plain text. Problem is when I switch to a different view, the text and arrows are still there although in all the wrong places. It's prints that way too, which is a disaster.
Text and leader objects are "view specific" objects and it is not typical behavior for Revit to populate these items automatically in other Views. The only thing I can think of is if you created some Dependent Views, which does in fact populate text in all Views associated with the Host View. Can you post some screenshots of your active View in the Project Browser to confirm?

In case I am correct in that you have created Dependent Views, here's the way it works when you duplicate a view. You have three options: (1) Duplicate (2) Duplicate with Detailing and (3) Duplicate as Dependent. Options 1 does not populate any text whatsoever to the new duplicated view, and any text subsequently added in either views will not cross populate. Option 2 will duplicate all text objects CURRENTLY placed, but any text subsequently added in either views will not cross populate. Option 3 will duplicate all objects in the View based off the Host View, and any text subequently added in either views WILL cross populate.

Hopefully this is the problem you're having. This is the only thing I can think of that's going wrong with Revit.

-TZ

I totally did not think of dependent views, tz.

I would be interested in what he did and what his "solution" was, but I think I hurt his feelings and scared him away.

I'm afraid you misunderstand, ReMark. Only the uninformed would think it's a problem. The program has no problem with this. It has options. Not knowing the program well enough is the problem.

So this state-of-the-art modern CAD program has a problem handling text in multiple views? :lol::lol::lol:
Haha, well to the beginner, yes it does. I remember first starting out in Revit, I couldn't figure it out at all. Once I FINALLY grasped the Dependent View, it was like the clouds divided and a light from the Heaven's was upon me.

First off, let me back up. "Dumb text" is highly discouraged in Revit, thus creating an environment where you "populate" text instead. This is called "tagging". So when you want to show "text" (or, "smart text", aka "Parameters" from tags) you simply use the "Tag All" option in Revit. You see, the information is always "there". You never lose it, it's just not being populated. Dumb text does have its place but it's usually for very quick fixes, or very unusual circumstances. However, all beginners of Revit usually resort to dumb text just to "get by", which I have zero problem with as a way to get familiar with Revit but I quickly explain to people starting out in Revit to get beyond this habit quickly.

Having said that, Dependent Views are such an efficient approach to multiple views, intended for "area plans". It is unmatched, and once they are discovered then there's literally no going back - back to simply duplicating views in Revit or any equal approach in AutoCAD.

8)

-TZ

Revit acts very weird at the beginning on most of its powers. Once achieved it is genius. I would never have thought of the way that it was built. I still remember trying to grasp the "view range." I got really mad. Now its just easy. Now I am stuck with 3D families. I do not see any sweep, loft, etc in family editor. How on Earth is that feasible? I guess I will work on importing somehow.

hmm those 3D tools must be located somewhere. I am making a template and looking through keyboard shortcuts and there are items for revolve, sweep in forms. I should be good. I get so caught up with multiple programs it gets confusing sometimes. If you work with AutoCAD for weeks straight and then Solidworks for weeks straight and then Revit for weeks it can be tough. I guess others have similar issues as well. Enjoy the weekend catching up on CADD! 8)

hmm those 3D tools must be located somewhere. I am making a template and looking through keyboard shortcuts and there are items for revolve, sweep in forms. I should be good. I get so caught up with multiple programs it gets confusing sometimes. If you work with AutoCAD for weeks straight and then Solidworks for weeks straight and then Revit for weeks it can be tough. I guess others have similar issues as well. Enjoy the weekend catching up on CADD! 8)
3D tools are activated only when you're in the Family Editor, whether it be an In-Place Model within the project itself, or an independent Loadable Family within the full Family Editor.

I need to read more carefully. I didnt see the paragraph under create form drop down saying it can create lofts, sweeps, revolves etc. I thought create form was just the extrusion. Sorry about that.

I need to read more carefully. I didnt see the paragraph under create form drop down saying it can create lofts, sweeps, revolves etc. I thought create form was just the extrusion. Sorry about that.
When you're multifaceted in several applications, it can happen. No worries.

:)