PhotoShop CC

Lazer

Yep, and when I ran the numbers, it turned out that I would end up paying more to rent the software than if I just did my normal upgrade every other year. IMO it's just not worth it. I won't buy anything more from Adobe. I have CS6, so that will be the last version for me. I may ultimately switch over to Corel because I can get their entire graphics suite for basically the same amount that I would have paid for just Photoshop.

Yeah I agree. I would LOVE to own Photoshop but at home I have to use Gimp and Inkscape for my home computer tasks (which, for the most part, I don't mind). I have an Adobe suite on my work computer and it's great, but Adobe doesn't allow home use licenses (I believe, anyways).

I'm in the market for a nice camera. I have my eye on the Canon 7D and I'll want to use the video option a lot, so not having the Adobe video editing software will hurt, but I'll probably purchase it outright, or at least see what my legal options are. I'm just a fan of quality software and I agree with legal, registered products for moral reasons along with the support (both from tech and updates). I wish there was a way to have discounted software for being a "non-professional" but then the professionals would take advantage of that no doubt.

The rental has what's justified my going "legit" with it. I only use it recreationally at home, so could never have justified the £800+ cost. At less than a tenner a month for PS and Lightroom it's entirely affordable.

dJE

Yeah I agree. I would LOVE to own Photoshop but at home I have to use Gimp and Inkscape for my home computer tasks (which, for the most part, I don't mind). I have an Adobe suite on my work computer and it's great, but Adobe doesn't allow home use licenses (I believe, anyways).

tzframpton, My fiance has Adode CC and she says that the license is good for 2 computers. She has one on her MacBook and then I have the second on on my personal Windows machine.

tzframpton, My fiance has Adode CC and she says that the license is good for 2 computers. She has one on her MacBook and then I have the second on on my personal Windows machine.
Thank you for the info. When I purchase my camera I will have to take a second look at my options. The camera I want just went on the discontinued list so they're half off right now, which means I will probably buy the body this week. Still it will be a while before I get the lenses I want.

From Adobe ..... https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/faq.html

Can I use the software I download from Creative Cloud on more than one machine?

Yes. Creative Cloud desktop applications can be downloaded and installed on multiple computers, regardless of operating system. However, activation is limited to two machines per individual associated with the membership. See the terms of use for more information. Learn how to deactivate a Creative Cloud license on a machine.

I am really disappointed at the lack of PS options we Windows users have. There are so many choice on the Mac platform that it is simply disheartening. Why a company should choice a business model that only targets 6-7% of the market share as opposed to a 90+% market share is hard for me to understand (mac snobs). There are some great options if you use OSX. :roll:

Pixelmator - $29.99

Acorn - $29.99

Affinity Photo - $49.99

I would buy Pixelmator in a second if there was a PC version.

If you are doing digital photo work I can suggest AutoDesk Pixlr Desktop. I have the full paid version and it's not bad. It's not PS by any stretch of the imagination but very usable for working on photos. I am hoping they expand on it and add new tools.

I have my eye on the Canon 7D and I'll want to use the video option a lot.

D7 that is a serious big boy camera. I love photography mainly playing in photoshop for hours on end with the Photos I taken. I got my first SRL camera 3 years ago and it was an entry level Nikon 3100 (very basic) but does the job I want again I just like editing the shots in Photoshop. Let us know how you get on if you get the 7D.

D7 that is a serious big boy camera. I love photography mainly playing in photoshop for hours on end with the Photos I taken. I got my first SRL camera 3 years ago and it was an entry level Nikon 3100 (very basic) but does the job I want again I just like editing the shots in Photoshop. Let us know how you get on if you get the 7D.
The 7D Mark ii is $1,500 - the one I want. The older 7D is only $800. My eye was on the older 7D by mistake so it's actually the Mark ii that I want. If the Mark ii was $800 I would have ordered it Monday, so I'll wait until the first of the year probably.

I know it's a "big boy" camera, but I told my wife this: if we're willing to spend $1k, why not stack another $500 on and get a phenomenal camera? The video options are the best part - so knocking two birds out with one stone. Many friends of mine come to me for photo and video needs, but it's been years since I've done things for them due to lack of equipment and software. I used to own a Canon GL2, in which me and another friend did event videography such as weddings back in the day. So I'm familiar with these types of things.

Now that I have a daughter I want to record her life in the highest quality I'm able to reasonably afford, while continuing to satisfy my constant desire for artistic outlets. But, the $1,500 price tag is hefty, and that doesn't include lenses or software. We spend plenty of $$$ on professional photography for our daughter each year so it's a justifiable cost with us. I'll occasionally be able to have paying "side jobs" to offset the purchase as well.

:)

I bought a Canon 300D over 10 years ago, at the time I ran my own company and used it to take photo's of my work, it was the way I managed to convince myself that the cost was justifiable, I still use it regularly, I'm on my fourth battery, and having found an adapter so that I can use the newest micro SD memory cards with the older CF format I can take over a thousand photo's on one card (over 999 as it only has 3 digits - ridiculous), Some people might complain about the image quality compared with the newer 20+MP cameras, personally I can honestly say I don't see any difference, unless you want to zoom into tiny details. I still love my camera.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a Canon 300D over 10 years ago, at the time I ran my own company and used it to take photo's of my work, it was the way I managed to convince myself that the cost was justifiable, I still use it regularly, I'm on my fourth battery, and having found an adapter so that I can use the newest micro SD memory cards with the older CF format I can take over a thousand photo's on one card (over 999 as it only has 3 digits - ridiculous), Some people might complain about the image quality compared with the newer 20+MP cameras, personally I can honestly say I don't see any difference, unless you want to zoom into tiny details. I still love my camera.

Built to last these SLR cameras. Never owned the Cannon SLR but do have a cannon IXUS 75 that I have had for about 7 years, it's had drinks thrown over it, dropped many times and still working 100%. My Nikon SRL is not old but the markings on the buttons have warn away already, not happy.