how to fold out a cylinder

Mads Refsgaard

is there a way to fold out a cylinder like the way you can do it in sheet metal? I have tryed to convert the file to sheet metal, but I had no luck there. hope some one can help, and if you don´t understand my english feel free to comment/ask

Demo cylinder.jpg

You need to have the part able to be opened. Right now you have a full closed cylinder, how would you possibly unfold that? Also I hope this example image is for testing because I am not sure you could actually roll that from metal to well since it appears to be too thick.

is there a way to fold out a cylinder like the way you can do it in sheet metal? I have tryed to convert the file to sheet metal, but I had no luck there. hope some one can help, and if you don´t understand my english feel free to comment/ask

OD x 3.1416

so this is just at test (not metal, its plast), and it´s only for showing, (the produktion need it to see something)

I know its a cloes cylinder, but I also know I can use a plane to cut the cylinder, so it´s not closed anymore. its after that I´m stuck.

I´m able to make an other part where it looks like the cylinder is folded out, but it would make my days easy if I could learn how to do this in sted

I´m not sure what you mean about: O.D -1 x wall thickness x 3.1416 = mean circumference.

If you want to unroll this you have to model it differently. Best way is inside the sheetmetal environment and without a closed profile, you could always convert to sheetmetal and use the rip tool to split it and unfold it.