permanently close the $@$#% ribbon

David Bethel

I'm working with developer that uses acad 2012. I am used older releases.

Q: how can you close that blasted ribbon forever. I hate the thing !

Thanks -David

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Bethel

• BlackBox

• Dadgad

• tzframpton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks ! I couldn't find the gear but I typed workspace on the command line the SEttings. I had classic selected but did not have the save each change picked. -David

Workspace is a good place to start, but does not prevent user from opening it again via RIBBON Command.

In order to do that, consider implementing a simple .NET DocumentLockModeChanged Event handler, which filters for, and can Veto() the RIBBON Command. That said, implicitly, it would be prudent to provide a means by which to disable the Event handler. :thumbsup:

As a quick demonstration, here's an unrelated example, where I conditionally prompt user when in/out of Block Editor and the "X" (Quit) button is clicked by mistake:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?146176-Warning-upon-exit&p=1248909&viewfull=1#post1248909

The problem I have is when I have multple programs running I have a bunch of close boxes and the one to close the drawing is right next to the one to close the Session.

Oops hit the wrong close button again. Wait for AutoCAD to reload.

Here's a quick .NET plug-in, pseudo-named Warn Before Exit, which provides three basic options when QUIT is invoked:

1. Exit the session (QUIT)
  2. Contextually Close the Drawing (CLOSE), or Close the Block Editor (BCLOSE)
  3. Don't do either (Veto the QUIT Command altogether)

Screenshot of when QUIT is invoked within standard session:

attachment.php?attachmentid=93876&d=1383311083

Screenshot of when QUIT is invoked within block editor:

attachment.php?attachmentid=93877&d=1383311103

Cheers

Well...yeah, you can go that route too...if you want too ;)

Haha!

I'll fire up Visual Studio, and install 2012 to try and be of more help.

David, while I too am less smitten by the Ribbon than lots of other forum members, and still use a customized classic workspace, it does have some things to recommend it. I just created a new alias RC for RIBBONCLOSE, so should it rear its ugly head, it is a very minor inconvenience to send it back from whence it came. It is not displayed in my numerous saved workspaces, so that is enough for me.

Edited by Dadgad

Thanks for inputs !

For me, a Command Line is my friend. The workspace command will probably suffice for my purposes. 2012 is only a development testbed for me.

While doing production work, 98+% of the time I'm WCS plan view. And when I'm not there, I'm in an orthigonal view ( N S E W ). So even the stupid cube thingy for rotating views is totally useless.

-David

Ribbons are for girlzzz :twisted:, I'm definately on the kill the ribbon side, I even have the menu on a toggle, and the command line is a one liner.

It's okay not to want to use the ribbon. Lot's of people prefer old tools and technology for some good reasons. Some because they just don't like change. Others because they have difficulty learning. Some of these people that resist changing resort to petty insults for who knows what reason.

Having never used such a vintage version of the software, I don't knowthe answer to this one?

Did Autocad include the CLEANSCREENON concept pre 2000?

If not David, hit Ctrl+0 , and you will likely be a happy camper.

No doubt you have figured out how to kill the NAVCUBEDISPLAY, by setting the variable to .

navcubedisplay.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

No doubt you have figured out how to kill the NAVCUBEDISPLAY, by setting the variable to .

Nope, didn't know about them

Command: NAVVCUBEDISPLAY

Enter new value for NAVVCUBEDISPLAY <3>: 0

Command:
Enter new value for NAVBARDISPLAY <1>: 0

Thanks!

How I like my ACAD workspace : ( and as close as I've gotten to in 2012 )

2004.jpg

2012.jpg

After killing InfoCenter, looks like you need only set MENUBAR == 1 to mimic your preferred workspace. :thumbsup:

[Edit] - Don't forget that the Command Line also has improved transparency, etc. when undocked, should you want to improve on your preferred workspace, by freeing up even more screen real estate.

You may want to kill off Info Center as well. http://otb.manusoft.com/2010/11/disable-autocad-infocenter.htm

Very Nice !!! Thank You Owen !

After killing InfoCenter, looks like you need only set MENUBAR == 1 to mimic your preferred workspace.

Yes again !

[Edit] - Don't forget that the Command Line also has improved transparency, etc. when undocked, should you want to improve on your preferred workspace, by freeing up even more screen real estate.

I do like a docked command line. Searching all over the screen for the thing can drive me even more nutty than I already am.

It is looking good !

Thanks! -David

Lot's of people prefer old tools and technology for some good reasons.

Some because they just don't like change.

Others because they have difficulty learning.

Some of these people that resist changing resort to petty insults for who knows what reason.

Well said.