undo button not working properly

Writz

It is so useless, most of the time(99%) it doesn't do anything, and i get stuck with whatever wrong I did in the assembly. Either I have go through fixing and tracing all mistakes, or just close the session all together and that could solve the problem if i'm lucky the autosave didn't save earlier.

How can this huge software lake such a vital and crucial feature ?! :rtfm:

i'm really angry at solidworks right now :geek:

What Undo button, the one in Solidworks or the keyboard Ctrl+Z?

What version of Solidworks?

I came to think that button on the top and "ctrl + z" work alike; "ctrl + z" doesn't work if the the button appears to have a gray colored arrow, and works if the button has a blue colored arrow indicating that it can do a roll back.

It does this mainly when I edit a part in an assembly and go back to the main one(which happens alot), and even if I go back to that same part to edit it, it doesn't keep history of commands.

i'm using 2015 sp 2.1.

A major problem with Solidworks is that the undo command does not store the information in the same way a word or excel document does.

Pro E/ Creo and several other CAD packages can handle this because the parts are physically loaded into, stored and worked on in memory where Solidworks does not do this therefore it struggles to go back anymore than 3-4 modification in assembly mode.

It's crap, I know, but to be honest, after a while you tend not to use the undo feature all that much. Your method of design becomes better and you can visualise what you need to do more effectively.

• 5 years later...

Well not If you use command Z allot like in Rhinoceros.
Then it becomes an automation, which of course is a time wasting mistake in SW.
To bad this isn't a feature yet. There should be an option to store in memory. Seems a pretty lame excuse to me.
And concrats on beeing a SW master, but as a creative you tend to mix allot of programs and there is no mistake that lacking a feature like this is bad business.

• 1 year later...

Whether it's Solidworks, Inventor or any other 3D package, each was created for its own intended purpose & each will get the job accomplished. 

Each program is intended to be used in the way that the software was designed. 

If every software was written to be operated the same, that would be great.

But, they're not. 

So, if you want to use a particular software, you have to use their commands (i.e., using the Solidworks "UNDO" button, instead of the CTRL Z button).

When my company switched from Inventor to Solidworks, it didn't matter if I liked the way that Inventor did this or that. 

I now had to do things the Solidworks way. (Same commands, just in different locations.)