How do I approach this? - 3D Ergonomic Cup

infernowheels

attachment.php?attachmentid=55309&cid=1&stc=1

I have designed the Cup part, however I'm having a hard time on how to approach the handle part of it. I plan to design it in 2D and then use revolve, but I'm stuck on the 2D part... How do I make all those curves perfectly? When using circles I can't quite find the perfect alignment and I get lost in the process...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

ERGONOMIC CUP.jpg

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

Draw the left half of Section A-A, as a CLOSED POLYLINE, then REVOLVE it about the center axis, to create the cup shape, as a 3D Solid.

Then draw the handle as shown on the right half of that same view, again as CLOSED POLYLINES, and EXTRUDE it to create the other 3D Solids you will need.

You can use the 3DALIGN command when it comes time to put the bits together.

You will probably want to use an isometric perspective when doing the modeling, at least some of the time.

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

Draw the left half of Section A-A, as a CLOSED POLYLINE, then REVOLVE it about the center axis, to create the cup shape, as a 3D Solid.

Then draw the handle as shown on the right half of that same view, again as CLOSED POLYLINES, and EXTRUDE it to create the other 3D Solids you will need.

You can use the 3DALIGN command when it comes time to put the bits together.

You will probably want to use an isometric perspective when doing the modeling, at least some of the time.

Yeah I'm already done with the 3D Cup, but my actual problem is the Handle since I have no idea at which part to start and how to make sure that I get accurate curves. I guess I can make circles with the given radiuses but putting them together is where I'm stuck at.

It will be hard to get them perfect since the picture doesn't give you the location of the centerpoint of each arc. In the 3D view, I can see hard edges between the arcs so I don't think it's as fluid as you may be thinking. Curves that are completely tangential will not have these hard edges where the handle is.

I think the radius arcs are simply for general reference. So make circles, and place them close to the layout, making sure the lines touch or slightly overlap even, then use TRIM to create the profile needed. Finish up with the rest of the handle, then EXTRUDE it to the desired thickness, and move in place then use the UNION command to join the solid geometry together.

But to have perfect placement of each arc, you'd need more information as a beginner. And I'm no mathematician: there may be someone here who can figure that part out, but the point of the exercise is to model a cup, not to mathematically decipher the placement of tangential arcs.

My $0.02 worth anyways. :)

-TZ